Last week, the UFC announced that no charges have been filed against legendary MMA fighter BJ Penn a couple of months after a former employee filed an incident report against him for sexual assault.
The UFC issued a statement which said that a Las Vegas-based law firm confirmed that no criminal or civil charges have been filed against Penn. Also, no local enforcement unit has made any moves for an investigation on the case.
Still, the UFC said that it is open to reassessing the issue once new details start to surface. “It should be noted that UFC reserves the right to reevaluate the matter should new information be made available.”
As a result, the UFC has announced that Penn’s comeback fight against Dennis Siver at UFC 199 in June in California will continue as scheduled.
— UFC (@ufc) April 13, 2016
However, reports are now saying that “The Prodigy” is not yet out of the woods, as the Hilo Police Department of Hawaii has already begun its investigation for second-degree sexual assault charges.
The alleged victim filed the report in Delaware County, Ohio, in February, although it was just last week that the Hilo Police Department was able to see a hard copy of the report, as confirmed by public information officer Chris Loos on Monday.
While Loos confirmed that the Hilo PD has begun the investigation, he did not name any of the parties involved, except for Penn, 37, who is the subject of the lawsuit.
In the filing, the victim claims that Penn sexually assaulted her on Feb. 16 in Hawaii.
— MMA mania (@mmamania) April 19, 2016
Pedro Carrasco, the former editor of Penn’s website, BJPenn.com, and boyfriend of the alleged assault victim shared on Twitter what happened and accused the legendary MMA fighter.
“Tired of seeing this pervert BJ Penn in the news,” Carrasco posted on social media.
“Dude’s a cocaine addict, who sexually assaulted my Playboy model GF, and I have proof.”
— Pedro Alex Carrasco (@LATLPEDRO) February 16, 2016
Carrasco then narrated what he claims happened: Penn came to his house when he was not there, pulled her clothes off, and then “forced himself” on his girlfriend.
— Krusty Sox Sports (@KrustySoxSports) February 22, 2016
To cap it off, the former employee said that Penn even blamed him for looking at his girlfriend’s body.
In response to the allegations, Penn’s camp insisted that Carrasco’s statements are simply not true and that the former editor is “trying to extort him.”
“Penn trusted Pedro to run his website for almost a decade and considered him family. He was fired last year for unethical behavior and was provided a severance [sic] that ended on February 16, 2016,” the statement said.
The statement also pointed out that right after the severance ended on February 16, Carrasco immediately made the accusation the next day.
In addition, the response also said that Penn, in his almost-15-year career, never was he involved in any sexual assault incidents, nor was his conduct with women ever questioned.
“He is a family man and father of two young daughters with a known long-term girlfriend,” the statement said.
However, with this recent development, Penn’s comeback in the octagon may be hindered once more. He last fought more than 18 months ago after a loss to Frankie Edgar in 2014.
Apr10.2010@FrankieEdgar ends BJ Penn’s dominant reign at 155,
& becomes the new UFC Lightweight Championpic.twitter.com/P04QejCeFQ
— MMA History Today (@MMAHistoryToday) April 10, 2016
In his post-fight interview, he hinted that it would be the final fight of his highly decorated career. BJ Penn is only one of two MMA fighters in history to hold two titles in different weight divisions.
In a conference last week, UFC president Dana White announced that BJ Penn will make his comeback this year.
The UFC has not yet made any statements regarding the new investigation.
[Photo by Gregory Payan/AP Images]