The episode of WWE Monday Night Raw that aired on February 9, 2016, will go down as one of the most emotional nights for the WWE Universe in the history of professional wrestling. That emotion had nothing to do with Brock Lesnar beating down Dean Ambrose or laying out Roman Reigns with a table. It had nothing to do with Mark Henry temporarily teaming up with The New Day or the Dudley Boyz turning their back on The Usos. It had nothing to do with the fact that John Cena, Randy Orton, and Seth Rollins are sidelined with injuries. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Triple H didn’t even make an appearance.
The reason WWE Raw was so emotional was that Daniel Bryan, leader of The “Yes!” Movement — who was forced to drop the WWE Intercontinental Championship shortly after winning it at WrestleMania 31 — officially announced his retirement. There was always a question as to whether or not the former WWE World Heavyweight Champion would wrestle again. And while the news wasn’t especially surprising, the suddenness of the announcement left many in shock.
Below is a recap of last night’s WWE Monday Night Raw, followed by an updated card for WWE Fastlane (which now includes a WWE Divas Championship Match and a Divas tag team match).
WWE Monday Night Raw results
- WWE Raw kicked off with Stephanie McMahon in the ring, ready for a contract signing for WWE Fastlane’s main event. As soon as Stephanie made her way out of the ring, Ambrose got in Lesnar’s face. The Beast responded by delivering another F5 to Dean Ambrose and laid Roman Reigns out with a table.
- In the first match of the night, Dolph Ziggler pinned Kevin Owens after KO missed his signature rolling cannonball, and Ziggler rolled him up with his feet on the rope for good measure.
- WWE Divas Champion Charlotte defeated Alicia Fox by submission using the Figure Eight. Brie Bella was not at ringside, since Daniel Bryan was preparing for his address to the WWE Universe regarding his retirement.
- Chris Jericho was the guest of The Miz on a MizTV segment. But Y2J managed to convert it to a “Highlight Reel” segment before A.J. Styles came out and all three of them brawled. Jericho faces Styles on WWE SmackDown this week.
- Bray Wyatt pinned Ryback after connecting with the Sister Abigail. Post-match, the entire Wyatt Family continued the beatdown on The Big Guy.
- Backstage, Ambrose says he wants to face Lesnar on his own tonight and asks Reigns to stay in the back. Reigns agrees.
- Adam Rose pinned Titus O’Neil with a roll-up after a little assistance from the rest of the Social Outcasts at ringside.
- Dean Ambrose makes his way to the ring and insults Brock Lesnar over and over until The Beast came to the ring and beat The Lunatic Fringe repeatedly. Ambrose continued to get back up, only to have Lesnar put him down again. Eventually, Roman Reigns came out, Lesnar was distracted, and Dean hit Brock with a low blow before escaping the ring.
- Alberto Del Rio & Rusev defeated the Lucha Dragons when ADR pinned Kalisto. Wade Barrett was at ringside to act as a distraction for the U.S. Champion and the returning Sin Cara.
- Goldust was dressed like Jimi Hendrix hoping that R-Truth would be impressed and agree to be his tag team partner. He was not successful.
- Sasha Banks is on guest commentary and Naomi accompanied Tamina as she pinned Becky Lynch after Lynch was distracted by what was happening outside of the ring. It was acknowledged that Banks and Lynch had formed an alliance out of necessity on last week’s WWE SmackDown.
- After losing Mark Henry as a partner in the middle of the match, The New Day were defeated by the Dudley Boyz and The Usos in an Eight Man Tag Team Tables Match when Big E was put through a table courtesy of a 3D. After the match, D-Von and Bubba Ray turned on The Rock’s cousins and put them both through a table as well. No real explanation was given for the sudden heel-turn.
- WWE Raw ended with Daniel Bryan addressing the WWE Universe about his decision to retire from WWE. As USA Today noted, Bryan’s speech focused on the gratitude he has for the industry and the fans.
These results have been verified by WWE.com’s official WWE Raw recap.
Updated WWE Fastlane card
- Triple Threat Match — Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Dean Ambrose — Winner faces Triple H at WrestleMania 32 for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
- WWE Divas Championship Match — Charlotte (c) vs. Brie Bella
- WWE United States Championship Match — Kalisto (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio
- Sasha Banks & Becky Lynch vs. Naomi & Tamina
These matches have been verified by WWE.com’s official WWE Fastlane preview. Additional matches will be added as February 22 approaches.
Where to watch
WWE Monday Night Raw airs weekly on the USA Network at 8/7c. The WWE Raw Pre-Show can be streamed on the WWE Network at 7:30/6:30c. While full replays of WWE Raw aren’t added to the WWE Network immediately, a 90-minute condensed version of WWE Raw can be streamed on Hulu Plus beginning the next day. WWE Fastlane 2016 airs on the WWE Network at 8/7c on February 22.
[Image via WWE Universe]