Brielle Shooting Update: Sand Bar Owner Charged


This week’s Brielle shooting caused a big stir in the upscale Jersey Shore community of Brielle, and yesterday morning, police hunted the man suspected of shooting a 35-year-old female in a restaurant parking lot.

As news of the Brielle shooting was reported, several residents said that police had been searching homes in the wee hours after the one AM incident.

While police did not identify a suspect in the Brielle shooting and did not release the name of the victim, locals told press that the suspected shooter may have been the owner of the Sand Bar, the restaurant where the parking lot incident occurred.

Locals further said that the female victim was an employee, but police have not confirmed that report.

However, the Brielle shooting resulted in what appeared to be a “contained” standoff late in the morning, and now it has been reported that the owner of the Sand Bar is in custody and has been charged with attempted murder. reports that the man has been identified and formally charged in the shooting of the woman, who remains unidentified in media reports:

“Louis Cataldo, 62, who lives in Bay Point Harbour, was charged with shooting a 35-year-old woman in the parking lot of the restaurant at around 12:55 a.m., Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office spokesman Charles Webster said Tuesday afternoon. The woman, who was not identified, remains in critical but stable condition, Webster said.”

Local resident Bud Mayo told reporters that after the Brielle shooting, neighbors had been roused by police going door to door in the middle of the night.Mayo said:

“An Ocean County SWAT team showed up and explained to us that there was a shooting in Brielle at 1 o’clock this morning and that they had tracked the shooter down to one of the residences here.”

According to the site, after the Brielle shooting, Cataldo was additionally charged with “possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and is being held on $1.5 million bail with no 10 percent option at the Monmouth County Correctional Institution.” The suspect was ordered to have no victim contact, and was made to forfeit his passport in the wake of the incident.