Olympic Sprinter Tyson Gay's Daughter Killed In Shooting

The daughter of American Olympic sprinter Tyson Gay was killed after getting shot in the neck during an exchange of gunfire between two vehicles in Lexington, Kentucky, on Sunday, according to the athlete's agent and authorities. Police have already arrested a man suspected to be connected to the shooting incident.

Fifteen-year-old Trinity Gay was taken to the University of Kentucky Medical Center, where she later died from her injuries. Mark Wetmore, the athlete's agent, confirmed the young girl's death via a text message sent to the Associated Press. An autopsy has been scheduled to take place on Monday morning.

On Sunday evening, Police announced that they had arrested 21-year-old Dvonta Middlebrooks and charged him with wanton endangerment and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. In a statement, investigators were able to determine that Middlebrooks was in the parking lot when the incident occurred and fired multiple shots from his gun. Another man who was questioned by the police has not been charged.

Mr. Gay, a native of Lexington, confirmed his daughter's death during an interview with local TV station LEX 18.

"She didn't make it. I'm so confused. She was just here last week for fall break. It's so crazy. I have no idea what happened."

In a statement, Lexington Police went to a parking lot of a restaurant located close to the University of Kentucky around 4 a.m. local time on Sunday after witnesses called in reporting exchanges of gunfire between two vehicles. Officers were able to locate one of the vehicles and stopped two people for questioning.

Brenna Angel, a spokeswoman for the Lexington Police department, said that they don't believe Trinity Gay was in either of the vehicles involved in the shootout.

Trinity Gay followed in her father's footsteps and became a sprinter at Lafayette High School in Lexington. She finished fourth in the 100-meters and fifth in the 200-meters in the state Class 3A high school track meet that took place last May. She also took part in a 4x200 team relay that managed to finish fourth. Her father, Tyson, who was also a sprinter at Lafayette, still holds the record in the 100-meter race, which he set in 2001.

Manny Caulk, the Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent, issued a statement to the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper expressing his grief over the tragedy.

"Our hearts are broken this morning over the loss of Trinity to this tragic and senseless act of violence."

Fayette school spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall said that grief counselors will be available for both students and staff at Lafayette High on Monday.

Many athletes took to Twitter to offer their condolences to the Gay family and express their grief over the incident.

Tyson Gay competed in the last three summer Olympics. He was a part of the team that won the silver medal in the 4x100 meter relay during the 2012 London Olympics, though he was ultimately stripped of that award after he tested positive for steroid use in 2013.

The 33-year-old Gay, who has had to battle injuries, experienced more disappointment during last summer's Rio games, where he was a member of the men's 4x100 meter relay team that managed to finish third in the final before they were disqualified due to an illegal baton exchange between Justin Gaitlin and Mike Rodgers. The U.S. team tried to appeal the decision but was denied, and Canada was given the bronze medal instead.

[Featured Image by David J. Phillip/AP Images]