A Brazilian man called Joao Maria de Souza, 45, was killed last Wednesday when a cow fell through the roof of his house.
The man was asleep with his wife when the cow, reported to weigh at least a ton fell through the flimsy asbestos roof of the house, situated in the south-eastern town of Caratinga.
An officer from the local Police force said the man died from internal bleeding from being crushed by the large cow. The cow was apparently grazing on top of a hill above Souza’s house, just before the accident occurred.
The victim’s brother spoke to a local newspaper, speaking philosophically about the death of poor Joao:
“Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth. But in my view it wasn’t the cow that killed our Joao, it was the unacceptable time he spent waiting to be examined.”
The cow that fell on the man is believed to have escaped from a farm near to the victims house.
It is reported that this is in fact not the first time a cow has fallen through a roof in Brazil, with other similar incidents having been reported to the media and police.
The Police are investigating the incident and will surely be looking into ways that unfortunate accidents like these can be prevented in the future.