Political theater reached a new height of the absurd today, with this stunning video featuring six year old Isaac Anthony, in which he instructs voters on ten reasons not to vote for Obama. The video was distributed by conservative website Patriot Update and was available on YouTube in the Patriot Update channel. Reaction to the video has been highly critical, with several political commentators condemning the use of a child.
The video was filmed at a comfortable and well appointed private house, presumed to be young Issac’s place of residence. He begins his presentation on the front steps, shades over his eyes and toy gun on his hip. He takes us from the playground to the kitchen, where he makes sandwiches for his sister, while telling us Obama wants to keep people on welfare. He holds his infant brother on his lap, while attacking Obama for supporting abortion and later he is seen jumping out of a GMC Denali truck to inform us that Obama opposes oil drilling. Isaac ends his monologue by flipping up his shades, pointing at the camera and forcefully announcing, “So don’t vote for Obama,” before he turns and stomps away into the house.
YouTube users were extremely angry in their response to the video and their comments have run strongly to the negative side. Since it was posted on July 29, 2012, the video has been viewed 100,000 times. It has received 485 likes and 1218 dislikes from viewers, which translates to a 71% disapproval rating. Some viewers were so offended by the video that they said it was simply child abuse.
One user, named lyrralt, was highly critical and he also made a very important point about gun safety, when he posted, “It’s never too early to indoctrinate your children with hate and made up “facts”. I also like how this kid is holding an axe, sharp knife, and endorsing gun use by firing a fake one at the camera. ANY responsible gun owner knows you don’t fire guns, even fake ones, at a? person. Those kids clearly don’t “want” for anything because they are well off. Way to teach them early to look down on those that are struggling and need help. This is just wrong on so many levels.”
Despite the fact that the vast majority of viewers are skeptical about the chances of Issac thinking this stuff up all by himself, here are his ten reasons not to vote for Obama, just in case you care. Oh, by the way, this six year old whiz kid is also a birther.
1. Nobody knows where he came from.
2. He bows down to leaders from other countries.
3. Mr. and Mrs. Obama are not proud of America.
4. He wants to take guns away from good guys.
5. He lets bad guys into our country.
6. He doesn’t want Americans to drill for oil or mine for coal.
7. He wants to keep people on food stamps and welfare so they will vote for him.
8. He thinks babies are a burden.
9. He wants everyone to wait in a long line to see a doctor
10. He takes money from people who work hard and gives money to people who don’t work at all.
Now maybe some people will be OK with a kid doing a video like this and maybe some delusional folks will actually believe a six year old boy created this on his own. We know six years old kids regularly make campaign commercials that would win praise from the big shots at a major Madison avenue advertising agency. Actually, what we do know is that this was a highly polished, well scripted political attack piece and the kid’s parents should probably be questioned by social services. If you were a parent would you let your young child make a video like this or would you rather see him or her outside in the fresh air, playing with other neighborhood kids?
Update 1:00 PM CST:
A popular Australian website has written a scathing response to the Isaac Anthony video. They proposed a new 10 reasons, entitled, “10 Reasons This Video Is Really Wrong.”
1. The video borders on child exploitation.
2. Not content to exploit a six year old boy, it also features a baby and a little girl.
3. This is hardly the best week to show a kid firing a gun.
4. Peanut butter and jelly? No wonder American kids are fat.
5. Also there are no plates on the table. Perhaps Americans should teach table manners before they teach kids politics.
6. The boy says Obama doesn’t want to drill for oil. This he says while standing next to a General Motors “Denali” pickup truck. The mountain called Denali is the highest peak in Alaska, a major oil drilling state where Obama has recently approved new fields.
6. The bit with the scary, vicious dog is wrong for a bunch of obvious reasons.
7. Kids always look annoying in sunglasses.
8. The flagpole near the end of the video appears to depict a Gadsden Flag, which has become a symbol of the Tea Party Movement. It features a coiled rattlesnake and the motto “Don’t Tread on Me”. Some Americans consider it offensive.
9. Action figures and politics should never mix. The kid should be off playing with the figures, not doing this kind of thing.
10. The boy’s front door is unlocked. Surely in modem day America this is dangerous.
While we do tend to agree with many of the points made by the Australian article and it was quite amusing, we would like to inform our friends down under that there are still many nice places in America where people actually feel safe enough to leave their doors unlocked. But, alas, even that charming custom may soon go the way of the dodo.