TED Talks are definitely uplifting, but for those people who are looking for more motivation in their lives, there are a number of TED Talks that stand out above all others. Just watching some of these incredible TED Talks on motivation can change anyone’s perspective.
1. Entrepreneur reveals a number of TED Talks that are geared toward increasing motivation in life and in career. Sarah Lewis does this in her talk “Embrace the Near Win,” in which she talks about the importance of almost achieving success. These near-wins are critical to success and have the power to spur people on to reaching their goals.
2. Motivation comes from failure. Elizabeth Gilbert agrees with this assessment and has experienced it first-hand. In her talk, “Success, Failure and the Drive to Keep Creating,” Gilbert reveals she was able to motivate herself in one failure by identifying with previous failure and how she rose to the challenge. She says to never stay down when you fall down. Get up every time.
“I will always be safe from the random hurricanes of outcome as long as I never forget where I rightfully live.”
3. Make Use Of reveals a different set of incredible TED Talks on motivation. Dan Pink’s talk, “The Puzzle of Motivation,” delves into the need for purpose in life. He divulges the fact that external motivators aren’t the real motivators; intrinsic motivators are what matter the most.
4. It is critical for all people to realize that success is an ongoing journey and that is what Richard St. John discusses in “Success Is a Continuous Journey,” one of the best TED Talks on motivation. The key? Once we stop trying, we fail. In other words, even people who reach the top and succeed eventually stop doing what made them succeed in the first place and end up failing due to stagnation.
5. Living life mindfully is one of the keys to motivation and success. Andy Puddicombe’s talk “All it takes is 10 mindful minutes” reveals that people take more time to care for their cars and clothing than they do caring for their mind. Just 10 minutes of mindfulness every day will help us rise above the chaos and refresh our minds.
6. Motivation cannot overcome mental blocks and Arianna Huffington talks about the importance of sleep in one of the best TED Talks on motivation, “How to succeed? Get more sleep.” Many people have mental blocks due to sleep deprivation. These mental blocks lead to a lack of ideas, which leads to a lack of motivation.
7. Mel Robins also gives one of the best TED Talks, “How to Stop Screwing Yourself Over,” in which she bluntly tells us to do things that are not part of our regular routine. This is a great way to remove mental blocks and get things moving.
8. What about repetitive work day in and day out? Dan Ariely gives an incredible TED Talk called “What makes us feel good about our work?” Apparently, repetitive drudgery is not on the list. In fact, this is the best way to sap motivation from anyone. To feel motivated and happy at work, there needs to be a mixture of meaning, creativity, challenge, pride, identity, ownership, and more.
9. Larry Smith has to be on the list of best TED Talks on motivation because he gives a funny and truthful look at people’s lack of pursuing their dreams. Called “Why You Will Fail To Have a Great Career,” this is a TED Talk no one should miss.
What are your favorite TED Talks that never fail to motivate you? Let us know in the comments section.
[Composite image containing photos by Astrid Stawiarz, Neilson Barnard, Neilson Barnard, Larry Busacca / Getty Images]