Drake facing lawsuit over canceled concerts

Drake Sued Over Canceled Tour Dates

Drake is being sued over two canceled tour dates.

The Toronto rapper and his touring company, OVO, have allegedly failed to pay back $200,000 to a Chicago concert promoter after canceling two shows last year.

According to documents filed in Cook County Circuit Court December 10, Status Entertainment and its partner Company, Show-n-Off Entertainment, were in contact with Drake and his reps for over a year to plan a concert. In March 2012, both parties agreed to a fee of $250,000 for Drake to perform at the UIC Pavilion. Status Entertainment claimed they transferred $100,000 to Drake and his company, but the show ended up being canceled. OVO Touring said they would return the money, but didn’t.

In June, Drake performed at the First Midwest Bank Ampitheater, which was planned with a different promoter. Status Entertainment reached out to OVO to reschedule the canceled concert for October 18, and claimed they sent another $100,000 to Drake. His reps told the promoter, “We changed the price because our value went up.”

Status Entertainment is suing Drake and OVO Touring for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, fraud, and violation of the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act. The concert promoter is asking for $202,800, as well as court costs and interest.

Earlier this year, Drake was sued by his former stylist. Michael Raphael claimed that Drake owed him $76,490 for consulting, travel, and shopping expenses accrued as of December 2012. Raphael said he was hired in August 2012 for consulting services at a monthly rate of $39,583. The wages did not include expenses the stylist incurred on Drake’s behalf.

Raphael said Drake paid his bills from August until November, but suddenly stopped paying in December. He said he spent almost $40,000 in shopping and other expenses, on top of his salary, for $76,490. He is suing Drake for the full amount.

[Photo credit: Joe Seer / Shutterstock.com]

Comments