Daniel Cormier Confirms Plans To Drop To Light Heavyweight After UFC 166

UFC heavyweight Daniel Cormier confirmed his plans to drop to light heavyweight after his fight against Roy Nelson in the UFC 166 co-main event next Saturday.

The 34-year-old told Inside MMA that it was time for him to switch divisions because he felt more comfortable making weight as a light heavyweight. Cormier also said he didn’t want to fight teammate and current champion Cain Velasquez, who will defend his title against Junior dos Santos in the UFC 166 main event. The two heavyweights have split their two previous encounters.

“It does have a lot to do with me not wanting to fight Cain Velasquez, but I also want to be a champion of the UFC, and if I’m not going to fight for the belt at heavyweight, then I’ve got to find a division where I can compete for the championship,” Cormier said.

Unfortunately for Cormier, he might not have a shot at the light heavyweight title either, if current champion Jon Jones is to be believed. The day before successfully defending his title against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165, Jones said he didn’t respect Cormier and most likely wouldn’t accept a match with him.

“As far as Daniel Cormier, he definitely won’t be getting a title fight,” Jones said. “I don’t think I would accept a fight against him. He’s a guy I don’t respect at all, and I would definitely make sure he loses the weight, makes 205 and earns himself a title shot.”

Jon Jones had previously said that Daniel Cormier was a “guy who really wants to be famous” and that the Olympic wrestler was irrelevant to him. Cormier said Jones was being petty and that the two of them would fight at some point.

“We have fights to get through first,” Cormier said. “Then all those things are going to have to be answered.”