The promoter of four Chris Brown concerts in Canada said the events have been canceled.
Stephen Tobin, owner of Drop Entertainment Group, said that the decision to cancel the concerts was made after consulting with the 24-year-old. Brown’s health and legal troubles were also taken into consideration.
Brown scored a victory last week. The hit-and-run case against him was dropped Thursday, and charges of driving without a license and driving without insurance had previously been dropped. However, the case did lead to him having his probation revoked, and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said they would not drop the probation violation charge.
Brown was sentenced to an additional 1,000 hours of community service Friday after he failed to complete the original sentence following his 2009 assault of then-girlfriend Rihanna. He had arranged to do part of his community service in Virginia, his home state. Bryan Norwood, the Richmond, Virginia police chief, signed off on Brown’s hours. He was forced to resign when it came out that Brown had falsified his hours.
Brown suffered a non-epileptic seizure on August 9. His doctor attributed the seizure to “intense fatigue and extreme emotional stress, both due to the continued onslaught of unfounded legal matters and the non-stop negativity.”
In a tweet Saturday, Brown wrote, “They won’t love u until u r a memory.”
Brown had also previously tweeted that he would be quitting music after his next album. He wrote, “Don’t worry, mainstream America. After this X album, it’ll probably be my last album.”
Another tweet said, “Being famous is amazing when it’s for ur music and talent. I’m tired of being famous for a mistake I made when I was 18. I’m cool & over it!”
The tweets were quickly deleted.
Brown’s publicist, Nicole Perna, said the singer regretted that he wouldn’t be able to perform in Canada.
What do you think of the Chris Brown concerts being canceled?