Did you know that today is National Book Lovers Day. The day for book lovers is actually celebrated two times each year. The first celebration is August 9 and the second is the first Saturday of November.
National Book Lovers Day is an important celebration in reading. According to an October 23, 2012 Pew Research Center study titled Younger Americans' Reading And Library Habits, more than 8 in 10 Americans between 16 and 29 have read a book in the last year. The study also finds that college-age students between 18 and 24 have the highest level of reading rate.
National Book Lovers Day isn't just about picking up a paperback or hardcover. We are encouraged to grab the newest Amazon e-Book and consume literature in any way we can.
Even with the advent of digital books, consumers continue to lean towards print. The Pew Research study found that 75 percent of Americans between the ages of 16 and 29 read print books while 19 percent read e-books and 11 percent of survey takers said that audio books were the way to go.
On National Book Lovers Day organizers urge readers to find something they will enjoy, even if they don't normally enjoy picking up a book.
Remember that heading to your local library can be more than just a trip to pick up a book. Celebrate National Book Lovers Day with a book but then check out your library's selection of DVDs/Blu-rays, music, and other offerings. Read the book of your choice then reward yourself with a movie if that is more your fare.
If you need a book to read, here are the Top 15 books currently listed on the New York Times Best Sellers list:
- 1. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
- 2. The English Girl by Daniel Silva
- 3. Inferno by Dan Brown
- 4. And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- 5. Hidden Order by Brad Thor
- 6. Light of the World by James Lee Burke
- 7. Second Honeymoon by James Patterson
- 8. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- 9. The White Princess by Phillippa Gregory
- 10. Pulse by Gail McHugh
- 11. The Silent Wife by A. S. A. Harrison
- 12. Time For Love by Marie Force
- 13. Bombshell by Catherine Coulter
- 14. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- 15. First Sight by Danielle Steel