Alabama Execution Occurs Despite Protests Inmate Was Mentally Ill

The Alabama execution of Andrew Reid Lackey, 29, went off as planned yesterday for the 2005 murder of a World War II veteran — despite objections the condemned man was mentally ill.

Lackey’s Alabama execution by lethal injection happened Thursday night at Holman Prison in Atmore, Alabama, the state’s first since 2011.

Lackey was convicted of the 2005 killing of 80-year-old World War Two veteran Charlie Newman, whose grandson was acquainted with the man’s murdered and let slip Newman was in possession of gold bars.

According to 911 records, Newman’s last words before the 2005 Halloween slaying were “come sit down and let me pray for you,” spoken as he tried to calm Lackey before the robbery motivated murder.

On the tape, the man put to death in yesterday’s Alabama execution was heard asking about the location of the gold bars. Newman was beaten and stabbed.

Advocates for the mentally ill in the justice system opposed Lackey’s Alabama execution, releasing a statement earlier this week decrying the punishment:

“Alabama prison doctors currently are treating Mr. Lackey with multiple psychotropic medications and his mental illness is longstanding. His mother testified at trial that he ‘lives in Andrew land,’ that he does not fully understand ‘what is really going on,’ and that there has been ‘something wrong’ with him since he was an infant… Recently, Mr. Lackey has attempted suicide, saying that his ‘mind has started to break down,’ and that he was in an ‘infinite loop where he sees the end as the beginning.’ After his failed suicide attempt, Mr. Lackey’s suffering led him to ask the State of Alabama to execute him.”

NBC reports that the Alabama execution occurred at around 6PM, and that Lackey was declared dead at 6:25:

“The drugs seemed to to take effect within a couple of minutes. Lackey’s chest and abdomen convulsed slightly for several minutes. That was followed by what appeared to be several minutes of shallow breathing. He remained still and quiet for several minutes until a corrections officer closed the curtain at 6:15 p.m.”

The Alabama execution was this year’s 21st U.S. death sentence carried out.