The man charged in a northern New Jersey home invasion and beating that were captured on a nanny cam has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, robbery, burglary, and child endangerment according to Fox News.
Shawn Custis, 42, entered a not guilty plea to the charges in Essex County Superior Court.
Custis was ordered held on $750,000 bail following his arrest Friday in Manhattan.
The attack was captured on a so-called “nanny cam” hidden inside the home’s living room.
The recording showed the woman sitting on a couch watching television with her child and then getting up to investigate a noise in the back of the house.
She backs up toward the couch as a man comes into the room and starts savagely beating her.
The recording then shows the man going upstairs where authorities said he rifled through the family’s belongings.
The video shows him coming downstairs multiple times, beating the woman, finally throwing her down a flight of stairs, and eventually running out the front door.
The child cowers on the couch the entire time. Police said a 1-year-old was sleeping upstairs.
After the footage circulated, Police Capt. Michael Palardy told press he was sickened by what he saw, as the victim did not resist or otherwise tempt to thwart the intruder from burglarizing the home:
“There was no reason for him to touch her at all because she would have willingly gave him what he wanted … I’ve probably gone through this video 20 times, and it still sickens me every time I see it.
“He had no regard for her life. He didn’t care if she lived or died.”
Custis was taken into custody in Inwood, Manhattan after police in New Jersey announced they sought him and that his last known location had been Newark.
Prosecutors said the woman is out of the hospital, and the family is together and working on getting over the whole incident.
[Image via Shutterstock/ fotoedu]