Calgary Flooding Lands Police In ‘Twitter Jail’

The flooding in Calgary and nearby Alberta communities has expanded considerably since The Inquisitr reported on the flooding of nearby Canmore early on Friday morning.

The video posted above is a house being shattered against a bridge by the flood waters on Bragg Creek. But it’s only a hint of the large number of homes that may be lost in the widespread flooding that had Canadian officials issuing flood evacuation orders in 22 communities.

CBC News is live blogging the flooding in Calgary, a busy oil city which is frequently considered Canada’s answer to Houston. The city and surrounding communities are under a state of emergency as a result of the worst spring flooding in decades.

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi held a news conference Friday to announce that flooding on the Elbow River had peaked while the flow on the Bow River will remain steady for several more hours. At least 75,000 and possibly as many as 100,000 people have been forced to evacuate their homes.

The mayor’s full statement, along with multiple photographs of the flood damage, has been posted by Canada’s Metro News.

There are no reported deaths so far in the flooding. However, there is at least one woman still missing from a flood on the Highwood River that swept away a mobile home on Thursday.

And Alberta Premier Alison Redford noted that there is still a flood risk for communities downstream from Calgary.

In a disturbing note reported by Global News, Calgary Police were using their Twitter account to help direct the orderly evacuation of the city’s threatened neighborhoods. However, late Thursday, Twitter put the department in so-called Twitter jail for sending too many tweets.

After Twitter locked down the overactive police account, Constable Jeremy Shaw of the Digital Communication Unit had to use his personal account to send out emergency communications including evacuation maps.

Twitter eventually realized that they’d made a mistake, but the Canadian public is naturally concerned that the temporary blockage interfered with emergency communications about the Calgary flooding.