‘Assassin’s Creed’ Creator Sues Ubisoft

The creator of Assassin’s Creed is suing Ubisoft.

Patrice Désilets was one of the men, if not the man, who created Desmond Miles, probably the luckiest gamer in history. In the story of Assassin’s Creed, a bartender gets kidnapped by Abstergo and ordered to play the most immersive video game in history. Desmond Miles eventually figures out from his ancestral memories revealed by the game that he actually comes from a long line of assassins, a group of antiheroes created to take down the power-mad Knights Templar. Assassin’s Creed was basically the gamer version of the film Inception, being a game within a game, and one of Ubisoft’s most important franchises.

Patrice Désilets had apparently left Ubisoft and joined THQ in 2010. Then THQ went out of business this year and left its assets to the highest bidders, one of which was Ubisoft. One game caught in this ironic game of ping pong was 1666, a game that Patrice had been building for THQ. Ubisoft ended up with the rights, and he went back as well.

Here is where it gets weird. Patrice Désilets reportedly quit Ubisoft the second time, although he says he was fired, and his game 1666 was indefinitely put on hold. Now the Assassin’s Creed creator is suing Ubisoft for $400,000 and control of the game 1666. He built it, so it only makes sense that he wants to retain the creative rights to it.

The lawsuit says that Patrice Désilets’ agreement with THQ guaranteed him a certain amount of creative control over 1666. Ubisoft sought an amendment to the contract, and when negotiations broke down, Désilets was fired on May 7. The amount Patrice Désilets is suing for is one year’s salary and “moral damages.”

Ubisoft has received the lawsuit and told Game Informer:

“As stated before, the acquisition of THQ Montréal in January allowed Ubisoft to welcome 170 experienced developers to our existing and renowned workforce. Unfortunately, the discussions between Patrice Désilets and Ubisoft aimed at aligning Patrice’s and the studio’s visions were inconclusive. We received Patrice’s legal request and we will take the time needed to evaluate our options. We will make no further comment at this point.”

What do you think of the Assassin’s Creed creator suing Ubisoft?