Father Puts Baby Daughter In Freezer Because She Wouldn’t Stop Crying

A Washington state man is accused of putting his 6-week-old daughter in the freezer because she wouldn’t stop crying, Pierce County police said.

Tyler Deutsch was arrested in Roy for investigation of attempted murder, Pierce County Sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said. The 25-year-old is currently being held at Pierce County Jail awaiting a Tuesday court appearance.

The incident happened Saturday afternoon at Deutsch’s home in the 7600 block of 320th Street South. The baby girl’s 22-year-old mother called police when she saw her boyfriend take their daughter out of the freezer. At first, the baby was unresponsive, but paramedics were able to get her to the hospital in time to save her. Troyer said police believe the infant was left in the freezer for about an hour.

The girl was taken to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital with a body temperature of 84 degrees, but she is expected to recover.

“It could have absolutely turned out a lot different,” Troyer said. “The baby could have just been dead and on the way to being frozen. An hour inside of an ice box freezer usually would kill somebody.”

Toyer said Deutsch admitted that he was trying to help the baby, but is now remorseful about his actions.

“It was only a six-week-old kid – can’t do much other than cry – and from what we understand he wanted the baby to stop crying so he put the baby in the freezer,” Troyer said.

Tyler Deutsch and baby daughter

Authorities said they aren’t aware of any other criminal history Tyler Deutsch may have.

This isn’t the first time a parent has gone to extreme lengths to stop their child from crying. Last month, a Chicago father smothered his 5-month-old daughter because she wouldn’t stop crying. The 29-year-old and his 21-year-old girlfriend had just put their three children to sleep and were drinking. The baby woke up and began crying and the father, Rigoberto “Rico” Rodriguez, tried feeding her a bottle. When that didn’t work, he put his hand over his mouth while his girlfriend, Angela Petrov, watched. Baby Angelina finally stopped crying, and the couple went to bed without checking on her.

Angelina went unnoticed until 11 am the next day, when she was found “stiff and unresponsive.” She was taken to the hospital, where she was put on life support. The lack of oxygen caused serious brain injury, and doctors did not detect any brain activity. Sadly, Angelina was declared dead four days after Rodriguez smothered her.