Man Dead For 40 Minutes Gets Second Chance At Life

Theresa Hurst

Colin Fiedler, dead for 40 minutes after experiencing cardiac arrest last year, serves as living proof that technology can apparently produce amazingly miraculous results. The 39-year-old Australian man appears to have escaped death with the aid of two revolutionary medical devices that brought him back to the land of the living.

When Fiedler suffered a heart attack last June, he asked emergency responders to transport him to The Alfred, an Australian medical facility -- a request that ultimately saved his life. The hospital was conducting trial usage of a two-part mechanical resuscitation technique, which became instrumental in Fiedler's survival.

Considered clinically dead for an astonishing 40 minutes, the 39-year-old is now alive and extremely grateful that he picked The Alfred when given a choice of transport between two hospitals.

"For some reason, I said The Alfred, which is pretty lucky because they are the only one that has it," Fiedler explained.

The facility reportedly used a mechanical CPR machine in tandem with a portable heart-lung device to successfully bring its patient back from the brink of death.

The CPR machine, known as AutoPulse, is employed to deliver continuous chest compressions. In Fiedler's case it was combined with the heart-lung apparatus, which serves to maintain blood and oxygen flow to the brain and other vital organs in the body.

The life-saving technique has reportedly undergone exclusive testing at The Alfred, located in Melbourne, during the previous two years.

Technically referred to as extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, the system is apparently unique in its ability to reduce the likelihood of permanent damage to the patient's body while providing physicians valuable time to correctly identify and treat the cause of the cardiac arrest.

Fiedler is one of three such patients to be revived with the technique. Each considered clinically dead for 40 to 60 minutes, all three survived without incurring disability.

According to Professor Stephen Bernard, The Alfred's senior intensive care physician, the system has provided remarkable and exciting results during its trial period. He reportedly holds high hopes for its eventual expansion into other area facilities.

Meanwhile, Colin Fiedler considers himself an extremely fortunate man to be alive and well after being dead for 40 minutes. His second chance at life is one he is determined not to take for granted. He's reportedly taking a healthier approach to life and insists that he's "so grateful, more than I could ever say."

[Top image via Shutterstock]