Teacher Dies At Cubs Game After Choking On Hot Dog

A middle school teacher died this weekend at a cubs game after choking on a hot dog.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Maureen Oleskiewicz, 28, was at Wrigley Field with her brother on Sunday when she started choking on a hot dog. Martin Oleskiewicz didn’t realize that his sister was choking until she was gasping on the floor.

Margaret Oleskiewicz said: “They’re sitting there eating lunch before the game, looking at the field and the next thing she’s on the floor… He didn’t even know she was in distress and then she’s on the floor.”

Oleskiewicz was given CPR in the bleachers before going into cardiac arrest. She was taken to a nearby hospital but doctors were not able to save her. She passed away this morning at the Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

Brent Olson, a Cubs fan who witnessed the incident, said: “I think it happened about 1 o’clock, it was just before the game started. Matter of fact, I remembered seeing them give her CPR while the national anthem was playing. You could see everyone rushing up to the top of the seating with a frantic look on their face. They performed CPR like I’ve never seen.”

Oleskiewicz was a teacher at Independance Junior High where she taught sixth and seventh graders.

District 128 Supt. Kathleen Casey wrote in an email to parents: “There is no magic wand to fix what we cannot comprehend. Maureen had a positive impact on countless students, parents and… colleagues. Her vibrant, positive outlook on life and her joyful nature will be missed more than words can convey.”

The Cubs released a statement today saying that they were saddened by the news.