Former Saints Player Glenn Foster Dies After Being Taken Into Police Custody


Damir Mujezinovic

Former New Orleans Saints player Glenn Foster Jr. was arrested this weekend in in Reform, a town in Alabama's Pickens County, after being spotted driving up to 90 mph in a 45-mph zone.

The 31-year-old was taken to the Pickens County jail and booked on three counts of reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and attempt to elude.

On Monday, Foster died.

What happened between Saturday and Monday, and how did the former NFL player pass away? That's exactly what his family is trying to find out.

Read More Below

As reported by CNN, Foster's family was informed of his arrest immediately on Saturday.

The family claims they told Chief Richard Black of the Reform Police Department about Foster's mental health issues, and explained that he once had a manic episode.

On Sunday, Foster's family and Black went to the Pickens County jail, but when they arrived there they were told that Foster had gotten into some kind of an "altercation" with another inmate and was placed under the jurisdiction of the sheriff's office.

Glenn Foster Death

Jail records show Foster was released at 3:14 p.m. on Sunday, but re-booked just two minutes later, on three counts of simple assault and one count of third-degree robbery.

His family, meanwhile, was told they could not visit him due to coronavirus-related restrictions.

At the same time, arrangements were made to transfer Foster to a medical facility. On Monday, Foster was transferred there -- he reportedly got into the cruiser without incident.

But when he arrived at the facility, the former NFL play was "unresponsive and couldn't be revived."

Parents Demand Answers

Foster's parents, Sabrina Foster and Glenn Foster Sr., are now demanding answers.

Sabrina told The Daily Beast that her son "died in custody after being denied medical treatment."

"We asked them for him to have medical treatment and they denied him for two days. I told them he has not eaten or [had] water and his organs could shut down, and they didn’t seem concerned," she said.

"I don't know what happened with him physically while he was in the jail because they wouldn't let us see him," Foster Sr. stated.

Authorities Respond


Todd Hall, the sheriff of Pickens County, told The Daily Beast that he could not provide any additional details about Foster being denied medical care.

"I can’t as long as the SBI is investigating the case. I wish I could be more forthcoming, but right now we just don’t have any information," he told the outlet.

Rep. Kam Buckner of the Illinois State House’s 26th district, meanwhile, promised to help Foster's family "get answers quickly, and get answers completely."

"Whenever anybody loses their life in police custody, there are some questions that arise," Buckner said.