WWE News: Conor McGregor Seemingly Teases Match Against NXT Superstar

Conor McGregor poses during weigh-ins for UFC 257.
Gettyimages | Handout
Wrestling

At the moment, it appears Conor McGregor has no plans of walking away from mixed martial arts yet again in the aftermath of his loss to Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 last month. However, the past few years have seen him linked multiple times to a possible move to the world of professional wrestling. That was once again the case on Friday when the former two-division champion seemed to hint at a potential WWE match against his fellow Irishman, reigning NXT Champion Finn Balor.

Balor’s Tweet Got Things Going

WWE
Finn Balor makes his ring entrance.

As documented on Friday by Thirsty for News, Balor got the wheels in motion on Friday when he took to Twitter to share a photo of three action figures in a wrestling ring — McGregor, Triple H, and himself — and tagging the “Notorious” in his post. McGregor responded a few hours later, retweeting the image and declaring that there will be “[n]o more Mr. Nice Guy.” The publication noted that this drew reactions from fans who believed the UFC fighter was teasing a move to WWE.

Triple H Added Fuel To The Fire

WWE executive Paul 'Triple H' Levesque speaks at an event.
Gettyimages | Ethan Miller

Not long after McGregor replied to Balor, Triple H jumped into the action, responding to McGregor and telling him to “just say when.”

It’s been well-documented that Triple H has been rooting for McGregor to join WWE for some time. In 2016, the company executive/occasional wrestler told Forbes that the MMA standout has all the tools required to be a success in professional wrestling.

"He could come over, he's got it all, man - he's got the personality, the skills, the talk,” Triple H said. “He's an entertainer, for sure...what does he walk around at? 180lbs? I have smaller guys now in the WWE. We have 200lb guys who are stars. You don't need to be 300lbs any more.”

McGregor Once Drew Flak For His Comments On Modern WWE

Conor McGregor speaks at an UFC media event.
Gettyimages | Steve Marcus

Shortly before Triple H sang his praises for McGregor, the fighter made some controversial remarks about present-day WWE superstars, referring to most of them as “dweebs” during a Q&A session promoting his fight against Nate Diaz at UFC 202. He also singled out John Cena and referred to the 16-time world champion as a “failed Mr. Olympia.”

Despite his apparent disdain for the current WWE scene at that time, McGregor was far more respectful toward chairman Vince McMahon and legends such as Ric Flair, referring to them as “Dons” during the press event.

‘The Notorious’ Is Still Focused On Potential Rubber Match Vs. Poirier

Referee Herb Dean raises Dustin Poirier's hand in victory as Conor McGregor looks on at UFC 257.
Gettyimages | Handout

While it might be interesting to see McGregor face Balor — or any other WWE superstar — in the squared circle in the near future, the 32-year-old’s main priority remains a potential rematch against Poirier, who beat him via second-round TKO at UFC 257 but lost to him six years prior in their first encounter.

As reported by talkSPORT, McGregor recently teased the possibility of a “trilogy” with the American fighter, though it’s still unclear when both men will face each other again in the octagon.