Many celebrities have taken to Twitter or released statements reacting to the Boston Marathon bombing on Monday. Actor Mark Wahlberg, director Ben Affleck, and the cast of the upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness have all taken a break from their schedules to grieve with the nation.
Early Monday afternoon, two bombs went off near the finish line at the Boston Marathon. Three people were killed and 150 or more have been injured. Authorities believe that the bombing was intentional, but they do not have anyone in custody or any persons of interest so far.
At the New York premiere of his film Pain & Gain, Mark Wahlberg, a Boston native, wasn’t in the mood to do red carpet rounds after hearing news earlier in the day.
“I really didn’t even want to come tonight. I hadn’t really heard much – I spoke to my mom, and most of my family seems to be OK. It’s such a big event, there’s so many people there. It’s horrible man. It’s f–king disgusting, man. I just – I’m very upset,” he said.
Hours after the Boston Marathon bombing, the cast of Star Trek Into Darkness took to CinemaCon in Las Vegas to promote the upcoming sequel. Even they seemed a bit unenthusiastic.
“We were all on the way out here just talking (about how) it is hard to go and pimp your movie on a day like this, when the nation is sort of coming together,” said writer and producers Damon Lindelof.
“This is part of the job for us,” cast member John Cho explained. “(But) it was a weird feeling. I’m just going to say that. It’s so sobering.”
“I was horrified. It’s just unfathomable,” remarked Zachary Quinto. “It’s an amazing city and I know it’s stronger than one tragedy like this. But it is certainly enough to set everybody back in an unfortunate and profound way.”
Actor and director Ben Affleck, who grew up in the Boston area and has shot and directed many films in the city, expressed his sorrow over the Boston Marathon bombing on Facebook.
“Such a senseless and tragic day. My family and I send our love to our beloved and resilient Boston,” Affleck posted.
Many other celebrities took to Twitter to express their grief and condolences after the Boston Marathon attack:
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the city of Boston and all of those affected by this terrible incident.
— Justin Timberlake(@jtimberlake) April 15, 2013
There was an explosion by the finish line about 5 minutes after I finished- I’m ok but I’m sure there are many hurt.
— Joey McIntyre (@joeymcintyre) April 15, 2013
My heart is breaking for everyone effected or injured in the explosion at the Boston Marathon. God bless you all! My prayers are with you!
— Kim Kardashian (@KimKardashian) April 15, 2013
Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the explosions in Boston.