Fukushima Nuclear Plant Springs More Leaks

Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station has sprung yet another leak of radioactive water from its underground reservoir, according to multiple press statements released this week by the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

On Saturday, TEPCO announced that 120 tons of radioactive sea water had leaked into the ground. Then, on Tuesday, as TEPCO worked to move the water to an alternative tank, they discovered more holes. Of the seven underground reservoirs, three are now known to contain leaks.

Salt is, of course, a corrosive, and it has proved a challenge to secure the contaminated ocean waters. Although TEPCO said that they have removed cesium, they are currently testing a new process to remove 62 kinds of radioactive substances, including highly dangerous strontium.

According to a Reuters report, TEPCO officials are becoming frustrated with their inability to contain the contaminated water in its containers but can’t yet move it elsewhere. “We cannot deny the fact that our faith in the underwater tanks is being lost,” TEPCO general manager Masayuki Ono said at a press conference on Tuesday.

Today, TEPCO announced that they are inspecting the tanks for further damage and that they now have pumps to return the contaminated water to the reservoirs once they are fully repaired.

In March, Japan marked the solemn two-year anniversary since the devastating earthquake and resulting tsunami struck in 2011, which in turn led to a horrific seven meltdowns at three reactors at the Fukushima nuclear plant. Almost 19,000 people were killed and 300,000 displaced as a result of the disaster, and the recovery efforts are still underway.

The effects of the tsunami were felt over a wide area, and tsunami debris continues to wash up even on the west coast of North America to this day.

In a strange twist of fate, life is stronger than the stainless steel walls of the reservoir tanks. As The Inquisitr recently reported, a displaced fish caught in the tsunami debris has just been rescued alive and given a place in a tank at Seaside Aquarium in Oregon.

If only the reservoir tanks at the Fukushima nuclear plant were that tough.

[Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster photo courtesy Digital Globe via Wikipedia Commons]