Okay. Here’s a really simple question for everyone.
When you look at the image above do they even come close to looking like the same site?
Like would you mistake Facebook for being ReadWriteWeb, or how about the other way around.
No, I didn’t think so but apparently there are a whole bunch of people out there who can’t tell the difference. According to a post by ReadWriteWeb writer Frederic Lardinios over on his personal blog a recent RWW post title Facebook Wants To Be Your One True Login brought in an unexpected number of readers.
The problem is that the readers where looking for their Facebook login page and as such the stupidity ensued. From Frederic’s personal blog:
We saw an interesting phenomenon on ReadWriteWeb today. My colleague Mike Melanson wrote a post about Facebook Connect, which now shows up as the #1 search results on Google News and also as a new result on Google’s main search engine.
That – by itself – wouldn’t be something out of the ordinary, but here is what happened: suddenly we got an influx of tens of thousands of confused Facebook users who thought that ReadWriteWeb was Facebook. These people actually thought that somebody had either bought or redesigned their precious Facebook and now Facebook got so hard to use that they couldn’t get to Farmville. There are now over 200 comments from confused Facebook users on this post.
Here are a few sample comments that Frederic included with his post
- This is such a mess I can’t do a thing on my facebook.The changes you have made are ridiculous,I can’t even login!!!!!I am very upset!!!
- Can we log into face book? This is crazy I want to get all my info off and be done with this. I recently moved from MN to SC Myrtle Beach and facebook was a great way to keep in touch with family and friends but this is getting to be to difficult.
- I don’t like the new facebook. Why fix something that isn’t broken. this really sucks..
- I LOVE FACE BOOK CONNECTED W/PEOPLE I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL W/ESPECIALY ONE CLOSE FRIEND.KNOW LET ME LOG IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON WITH THIS FACEBOOK.. FIRST YOU WANNA CHARGE NA YOU WANNA NOT LET US LOG IN….. UGH STOP CHANGIN IT I LIKE THE OLD FB…. IF YOU ARE THE NEW OWNER YOU SUCK AND I WISH YOU WOULD CREATE UR OWN SHTY AND LEAVE FB ALONE LOSER………
- I hate all this changing. Just looking for a way to log in.This is very frustrating!! This is ridiculous. Are you looking for people to get disgusted and use another site
Now Jodie O’Dell followed all this up with one of ReadWriteWeb’s Open Thread type posts that basically suggested that maybe we aren’t making the web easy enough for people.
That’s a nice warm and fuzzy type thought Jodie and kudos to you for being egalitarian about this but the simple fact is that anyone who thought for even a moment that RWW was the new look of Facebook is a flaming idiot.
There is no other explanation.
The scary lesson here is that all these idiots were looking for their Facebook login page, which means they are your neighbors on the service.
Now that is scary.