A 3-year-old girl was recently killed by a garage door in Maryland.
Authorities said the toddler was playing with the remote control to the door while unattended. She was reportedly opening and closing the door when it suddenly crashed down on top of her.
The 3-year-old girl was soon discovered by her mother. The garage door had pinned the children to ground. She was killed as a result of the accident.
Charles County Sheriff’s officials told WUSA 9 that the little girl’s mother was inside the house at the time the incident occurred. It’s believed that the child wandered away from the woman and began playing with the buttons.
The 3-year-old was killed by the garage door when she attempted to crawl under it. When she was unable to clear the door, she became pinned beneath it.
Authorities are currently looking into whether or not sensors on the door were working when the little girl was killed. It’s believed that the 3-year-old crawled beneath the senor that would have prevented the door from closing on top of her.
Police have ruled the toddler’s death an accident. It’s believed she died from asphyxiation.
“The door came down and pinned her and ended up asphyxiating her,” Charles County Sheriff’s spokesperson Diane Richardson explained. “We’re testing them now to see if there may have been any malfunctions.”
“It’s awful, it’s terrible that something like that could happen. That should never have happened. It was a total accident. It’s just terrible,” one of the little girl’s neighbors said.
Police said the little girl was rushed to the hospital after her mother discovered her pinned beneath the garage door. Sadly, the toddler later died as a result of her injuries.
Although authorities said the 3-year-old girl was accidentally killed by the garage door, an investigation into the toddler’s death is currently ongoing.
[Image via Shutterstock.com]