Sylvester Stallone Says ‘Demolition Man 2’ Is In Production

Sylvester Stallone attends the premiere of HBO Documentary Film "Very Ralph".
Rich Fury / Getty Images

Sylvester Stallone had some rather interesting news for his fans on Monday. The veteran actor announced during a recent Instagram live that Demolition Man 2 is in the works.

The announcement came as a bit of a surprise for some of Stallone’s fans, mainly because the actor was so casual about the way he spoke about it. There had been rumors in the past that the commercially successful Demolition Man — starring both Stallone and Wesley Snipes — would be getting a sequel, but any talk of such a project died off quite a while ago.

“I think it [Demolition Man 2] is coming,” Stallone said. “We’re working on it right now with Warner Brothers and it’s looking fantastic, so that should come out. That’s going to happen.”

The original film saw Stallone take on the mantle of John Spartan, a cop from the near future that was cryogenically frozen and thawed out centuries later. He awakened to a California that was a utopia — at first glance — where things such as cursing and romantic intimacy had been outlawed. Not long after Spartan was thawed out, Snipes’ supervillain-esque Simon Phoenix was also brought back and immediately began wreaking havoc on the future world.

Demolition Man was also the first big blockbuster for a young Sandra Bullock. She played Stallone’s eventual love interest.

Stallone didn’t mention just how far along the new project is and it’s unclear if he commented about the sequel “looking good” because he’s actually seen footage or because he likes where they are so far in the production. With this being the first concrete evidence the movie is even in the works, it stands to reason it’s not too far along in development.

Demolition Man 2 wasn’t the only tidbit the actor shared with his viewers. Two other projects he said he’s had a passion for are starting up in the next few months as well. One of those is an adaptation of the 1981 movie, Nighthawks, although the new version will be a streaming series instead of a new movie. The original starred Stallone as a cop who was on the hunt for an international terrorist in New York City.

Finally, Stallone announced his long-ago secured rights of the 1999 sci-fi novel, Hunter is going to be turned into a film. Deadline reports his production company originally planned on incorporating the story into another Rambo-type movie. It’s not clear if that’s still the plan or whether it will be closer to the novel, where Nathaniel Hunter is enlisted to use his “hyper-tracking skills to hunt down a raging beast.”