Sammy Hagar Gives Up Beach Bar Project After Superstorm Sandy Damage

Sammy Hagar Gives Up Beach Bar Project After Superstorm Sandy Damage

Sammy Hagar is done with his beach bar project.

The rocker had been in the works to rebuild a beach bar he’s owned in Atlantic City for the past three years after he couldn’t reach a deal with a casino company to renovate the damaged building. Sammy’s Beach Bar had suffered extensive damage from Superstorm Sandy, and Hagar had been working with Caesars Entertainment to operate the bar for the summer.

“Following months of ongoing discussions, Sammy Hagar has regretfully been unable to come to terms with Caesars Entertainment on the rebuilding of the Sammy Beach Bar & Grill at Bally’s Atlantic City Hotel and Casino,” Sammy Hagar announced on his website.

Hagar added that since opening in May 2010 until it was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, the beach bar had been a popular boardwalk destination.

While Sammy Hagar won’t be re-opening the beach bar, he said he’s looking for a new chance to partner in the region. Hagar said he also remains committed to the Atlantic City community through his Hagar Family Foundation, which has supported local children’s charities for the last several years.

Known as the Red Rocker, Sammy Hagar has been a frequent visitor to Atlantic City. In May he showed up to donate $10,000 to St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church to stock its food pantry, which serves the city’s poor.

Hagar has other business ventures as well. He also owns and operates beach-themed bars in locations including Maui, St. Louis, and at airports in Las Vegas and New York.

Fans of the Sammy Hagar beach bar will still have a place to go on the Boardwalk, however. Katie Dougherty, a spokeswoman for Caesars Entertainment, said the bar was only damaged in the October 29 storm, not destroyed. She said the bar will be repaired and open by May under the name Bally’s Beach Bar, and added that the disagreement with Hagar was purely financial.