Teens Are Being Hospitalized After Sustaining Lung Damage From Excessive Vaping

An 18-year-old college student suffered a collapsed lung after heavy use of the Juul.

A Juul advertisement hangs in the window.
Scott Olson / Getty Images

An 18-year-old college student suffered a collapsed lung after heavy use of the Juul.

Doctors are reportedly shocked by the number of young people with significant health issues related to using vaping products, according to CBS News. In a recent report by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, people from their teens to those in their 30s are winding up in the hospital after sustaining serious lung damage from e-cigarette use – damage that would typically not be seen in a patient before the age of 50. Symptoms including shortness of breath, weight loss and fatigue are prevalent in patients as well.

When devices like the Juul first came out, there was a lot of confusion about what exactly was in the pods and whether or not they were safe. Although these products don’t contain tar or some of the other extremely dangerous chemicals that would be found in traditional cigarettes, they have been found to contain cancer-causing chemicals, according to the journal, Pediatrics.

In addition, each pod contains about the same amount of nicotine as one whole pack of traditional cigarettes. Nicotine is believed to stunt brain development and could cause cardiovascular issues as well. Not to mention, it is still unknown as to what other chemicals in the pods and doctors say they have no way of knowing how e-cigarettes will affect the body years down the road.

Dr. Diana Zuckerman, president of the National Center for Health Research, gave her take on the risk of vaping upon society.

“It’s mind-boggling. The vast majority of people who smoke started as children or as young teens, and yet you don’t hear about people getting lung cancer until their 40s, 50s, 60s. Think about that compared to what’s happening to these kids now. I’ve never heard of a smoker ending up in the hospital in their teens.”

Loading...

Chance Ammirata is a college freshman from Florida. For around a year, he would vape one Juul pod every two days until his lung collapsed. Although he survived the ordeal, he is still dealing with the consequences of his former addiction. He’s also helping other people quit for good by starting petitions for change and sharing his experience online.

Ammirata shared photos of black dots on his lungs because of the vaping and urged others to take this epidemic seriously.

“This epidemic has taken enough. We don’t need more evidence telling us just how bad it is. How many more kids are going to have to get hospitalized for us to stop?”