It All Started With A Waffle Craving: Florida Woman Injured By Ammo Left In Oven

ammo in the oven

St. Petersburg, FL – A teenager with a hankering for some waffles was tragically injured after ammunition stored in an oven exploded. Aalaya Walker, 18, was hit in both the leg and chest when trying to heat some waffles for a snack.

Bullets hidden inside an apartment over exploded when the ammo overheated. Aalaya Walker had to be hospitalized due to the shrapnel injuries, the New York Daily News notes. Javarski “JJ” Sandy, 25, told St. Petersburg police officers that he kept his handgun magazine with four live rounds inside the apartment oven. It remains unclear why Sandy placed his pistol magazine inside the oven, or neglected to tell Walker about the ammo storage location.

The Walmart employee’s legally owned 45-caliber Glock 21 was stored in a drawer elsewhere, the Tampa Bay Times reports. Aalaya Walker preheated the oven around 9 pm, the explosion occurred shortly thereafter.

The Florida teenager reportedly pick shrapnel fragments from at least one chest wound and a leg wound. After her ride to St. Antony’s Hospital in an ambulance, she talked with waiting police officers. Law enforcement investigators went to Sandy’s apartment to discuss the ammo in the oven.

JJ Sandy willingly showed the St. Petersburg police offices the melted pistol magazine – he had already disposed of the bullets. An excerpt from the police report from the bullets in the over incident reads:

“He stated that he does not have a temperature gauge on the oven so he estimates the temperature based on how far the knob is turned. I observed that the inside of the oven was damaged.”

Aalaya Walker’s wounds were deemed superficial and no arrests were made after the ammo in the oven injuries.

Have you ever stored your ammo in an oven?

[Image Via:]