Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz met for the third time in their storied careers at The Forum in Inglewood, California, culminating a feud that started all the way back in 2004. Liddell had defeated Ortiz in both previous fights.
The main card of the event kicked off at 9 p.m. ET, with the Liddell vs. Ortiz match getting underway at around 11:10 p.m ET. Golden Boy Promotions didn't follow the UFC's system of making all main events five rounds, so Liddell and Ortiz met in a three-round fight.
The matchup started off with a feeling out process, which saw Tito pushing the pace on Liddell. However, after 4:24 in the first round, Ortiz caught Liddell with a devastating four-punch combination that put the Iceman on the mat. Ortiz jumped on top and landed a couple of follow-up shots before referee Herb Dean jumped in and called a stop to the action.
After the match, Ortiz did his traditional burial celebration, which had a bit more significance due to it possibly being the last time fans see Chuck Liddell in the cage.
During the post-fight interview, Tito Ortiz was noncommittal on whether he would fight again. He also voiced his appreciation for to Chuck Liddell, and the two shook hands and hugged after the fight.
In Liddell's post-fight interview, the MMA legend said he was motivated and in shape, but just got caught. When asked what's next and whether he'd fight again, Liddell said, "We're just going to have to sit back and think about it."
The co-main event of the card saw UFC veteran "Filthy" Tom Lawler meet up-and-comer Deron Winn. Lawler lost in a unanimous decision (30-27 on all three scorecards) in the light-heavyweight fight.
In a battle between two UFC veterans, Gleison Tibau defeated Efrain Escudero by unanimous decision (29-28 on all three scorecards).Here are the rest of the results from the main card:
- Ricky Palacios def. Walel Watson via knockout (Round 1, 3:56)
- James Barnes def. Alberto Morales via submission (Round 3, 4:09)
- Jay Silva def. Oscar Cota via technical submission (Round 3, 2:13)
- Johnny Cisneros def. Dave Terrel by Unanimous Decision (30-26 on all three scorecards)
- Fernie Garcia def. Joe Roye by Submission (Round 1, 2:48)
- Joseph Henle def. Keith Berry by submission ( Round 1, 1:15)
- Joshua Jones def. Craig Wilkerson by Unanimous Decision (30-26 on all three scorecards)
- Francisco Estrada def. Jose Huerta by submission (Round 2, 2:47)