Bloody Pillow Found In Crib, Nanny Accused Of Murdering 1-Year-Old

Court documents filed this week detail a grisly scene inside of a Massachusetts home where investigators found a bloody pillow inside the crib of 1-year-old baby Rehma Sabir.

Police arrested Nanny Aisling McCarthy Brady earlier this month on assault charges. Those charges could be upgraded to murder now that the 1-year-old has passed away.

Dr. Alice Newton, medical director of the Child Protection Team, said that Sabir died of severe head trauma.

Newton said:

“Abusive head trauma includes injuries caused by violent shaking as well as impact to the head either by directly striking the head or causing the head to strike another object or surface.”

A statement on the District Attorney’s website, reads:

“It is alleged that on January 14, the child was in the care of the defendant, her nanny. Through their investigation, including interviews with witnesses, police determined that the defendant had sole custody of and contact with the child during the time that she sustained injuries consistent with abusive head trauma.”

According to police, an upstairs neighbor heard the baby crying for about an hour. The neighbor went downstairs when the crying turned “extreme.” Eventually the noise stopped and the neighbor returned upstairs.

But Brady’s lawyer, Melinda Thompson, said that her client had nothing to do with the baby’s death. Thompson said that Brady was taking care of the child like she had for the last six months when the child suffered a medical problem.

Brady says that she was playing with Rehma in the morning and that the child seemed to be her usual happy self. By lunch, the baby started to “slouch” and Brady decided to put Rehma down for a nap. A few hours later, Brady noticed that Rehma had stiffened and was struggling to breathe.

The little girl’s mother came home about this time and called 911. Rehma passed away two days later in the hospital.

According to Yahoo News, Brady is currently in the country illegally. She arrived from Ireland in 2002 and was only authorized to stay 90 days.

A spokeswoman for Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade told Sky News:

“We are aware of the case and have been in contact with the family. We are ready to provide any consular assistance if it is needed.”

Here’s a video about the case.