State Of Kansas Demands Child Support From Sperm Donor

The Kansas Department for Children and Families has filed a lawsuit demanding child support from a sperm donor. William Marotta of Topeka, Kansas donated his sperm to be used in an artificial insemination procedure, but never expected to financially support the child.

It all started when Marotta answered an ad on Craigslist requesting sperm donation. A lesbian couple, Angela Bauer and her partner Jennifer Schreiner, placed the ad in March 2009. Marotta responded to the ad and, as part of the agreement, gave up all parental rights and financial responsibility toward the eventual child.

The couple, who have a total of eight children together, have been separated since 2010 but still share parental responsibilities and remain close. Unfortunately, due to an unexpected illness earlier this year, they were forced to contact the Kansas state welfare agency for financial assistance. The state immediately asked for the name of the sperm donor.

William Marotta’s name is not on the child’s birth certificate and the child’s mothers were reluctant to reveal the information. As reported in The Topeka Capital Journal, the state refused to provide any medical benefits to the 3-year-old child unless they named the “father.”

Angela Bauer explains how she felt, being forced to provide the state with Marotta’s name:

“This was a wonderful opportunity with a guy with an admirable, giving character who wanted nothing more than to help us have a child. I feel like the state of Kansas has made a mess out of the situation.”

Bauer further stated that she cannot thank Marotta and his wife enough for what his donation has meant to her and her family, and for that she will always be grateful.

According to NBC News, there have been several other states involved in cases of child support and sperm donors. While most states have laws in place that protect sperm donors, there has been at least one case in Vermont, Massachusetts, and in New York where the donors have been made to pay child support.