Sherin Mathews Cause Of Death Still Pending As 3-Year-Old's Body Released By Medical Examiner [Video]

The body of Richardson, Texas girl Sherin Mathews has been released by the medical examiner although the child's cause of death is still pending.

The 3-year-old's lifeless body was found by a cadaver dog on Sunday, October 22, in a culvert under a road not far from the girl's family home. Sherin's adoptive father, Wesley Mathews, 37, was arrested the next day and charged with Injury to a Child, a first-degree felony for which he could face 5 to 99 years behind bars if convicted. He is being held on $1,000,000 bond.

CBS DFW reports that the Dallas County Medical Examiner will not say who has custody of Sherin's body.

According to Fox News, Sherin's body was sent to a funeral home after being released by authorities on Saturday.

A Richardson Police representative told Fox News that the cause of Sherin's death remains pending.

An arrest affidavit for Mathews indicates he told police that on October 7, he and Sherin were in the garage of the family home where he was trying to get her to drink milk. He said Sherin eventually began to drink the milk but he "physically assisted" her as she drank. He observed her choking, coughing, and said her "breathing slowed." Mathews told police that "eventually" he couldn't feel a pulse on Sherin and believed the little girl was dead. He also admitted moving her body from the family home.

This account differs from the initial story Mathews gave police the morning Sherin disappeared. At that time, he told authorities he had made Sherin stand outside by a tree at 3 a.m. as punishment for not drinking her milk. Mathews claimed that he went outside to check on her just 15 minutes later and she was gone. He was charged with child endangerment and bonded out of jail the next day.
As previously reported by the Inquisitr, on Wednesday, October 25, Mathews was transferred in shackles from the Richardson Jail to a Dallas County jail on suicide watch, according to NBC DFW.
Sherin was adopted by Mathews and his wife in the summer of 2016 from India. The orphanage that cared for the little girl said she was found by passersby after being dumped in some bushes as a baby, according to The Dallas Morning News.

The Mathews' 4-year-old biological daughter was removed from the home by Child Protective Services (CPS) shortly after the investigation regarding Sherin's disappearance commenced. At a recent custodial hearing, the Mathews learned their biological daughter will remain in CPS custody and the hearing was postponed until November 13, according to the Tyler Morning Telegraph.

The Richardson Police Department is urging anyone with any information about Sherin's case to call 972-744-4800.

[Featured Image by the Richardson Police Department]