October 20, 2017
Father Pleads Guilty To Sexually Assaulting And Murdering His 14-Year-Old Daughter 11 Years Later

A California man has plead guilty to the murder of his 14-year-old daughter who he also sexually assaulted. Mark Edward Mesiti finally confessed to these heinous crimes 11 years after his daughter Alycia went missing.

Alycia's body was discovered eight years ago buried in the backyard of a home Mesiti was living in at the time she disappeared. His daughter was reported missing in August, 2006. It would be three years before her body was discovered.

The Modesto Bee reported Mesiti was convicted of murder and over 40 counts of sexual assault on his daughter. He was also charged with sexual abuse of two unidentified girls, who were ages 8 and 16 at the time of their assaults. Alycia died of a "mixed drug intoxication." Opiates, morphine, amphetamine, and methamphetamine were just some of the drugs present in her body. It appeared he drugged her so she couldn't resist his sexual abuse.

Mesiti's trial began on October 3, and it was revealed photos were found of the father sexually assaulting his daughter while she was passed out. Thousands of photos of child pornography were found on the defendant's computer, external hard drives, and DVD's throughout his home. Videos were also found of a hidden camera in the room of one of the unidentified girls.

On Monday, Mesiti said he would plead guilty to all charges. The motive behind the guilty plea so many years later is uncertain, but it's assumed the defendant was trying to avoid the death penalty. The Modesto Bee claims if Mesiti's trial continued and he was found guilty, he could possibly be sent to death row if the jury saw fit.

The Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office accepted the plea, and agreed to life in prison without parole.

Mesiti wasn't arrested until 2011, on a completely different charge. He was convicted of manufacturing methamphetamine in Los Angeles. After that case concluded, he was then charged with the murder of his daughter two years later.

The trial was constantly delayed as Mesiti changed lawyers several times, filed numerous motions to the point where the original judge removed himself from the case.

Mesiti will be formally sentenced next month.

[Featured Image by Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department]