Sherin Mathews Case: Indian Government ‘Deeply Concerned’ About Missing 3-Year-Old Texas Girl

The case of Sherin Mathews, who went missing 12 days ago, is being monitored by the Indian government and its embassy in the United States, with one official expressing concern over the girl’s disappearance. The 3-year-old was adopted from an Indian orphanage in 2016. She vanished from her Richardson, Texas, home after her father claims he made her stand outside in the middle of the night as punishment for not drinking her milk.

Sushma Swaraj, the minister of External Affairs for the Indian government, took to her Twitter page Thursday and wrote, “We are deeply concerned about the missing child” after another Twitter user asked her what “action” had been taken with regard to Sherin’s case.

In her tweet, Swaraj also noted that the “Indian Embassy in U.S. is actively involved” and are keeping her informed about the investigation. In another tweet, Swaraj shared a link to a news report about Sherin, which features an image of the girl smiling alongside a mugshot of her adoptive father, Wesley Mathews.

A spokesperson for the Indian Embassy in Houston said in a written statement that they are “closely monitoring” Sherin’s case and are now in “contact with the community and authorities,” according to NBC DFW.

Investigators have not only seized items of interest from the Mathewses’ home, but also from the family’s vehicles, including a maroon 2013 Acura MDX. Richardson Police announced that the SUV was not at the residence on Saturday, October 7, between the hours of 4 a.m. and 5 a.m., about an hour after Mathews alleges Sherin vanished.

A list of items seized from the Mathewses’ home by the FBI includes gloves, wooden spoons, a Costco receipt dated two days before Sherin went missing, a floor mat from the Acura, and a washer and dryer, as previously reported by the Inquisitr.

In addition, multiple DNA swabs were taken inside the home, the Acura, the family’s Lexus, and a Toyota Sienna van, reports the Dallas Morning News.

Mathews, 37, was arrested by Richardson Police just hours after reporting Sherin missing and was charged with endangering a child. He has since been released from jail, posting a $250,000 bond. As part of that release, he was required to wear an electronic monitor and surrender his passport.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit, Mathews told police he took Sherin outside at around 3 a.m. on Saturday, October 7, and told her to stand close to a large tree located across an alley from the family’s backyard, reports CBS 19.

Mathews alleges that around 15 minutes later he went to check on Sherin and she was gone. He also told police that coyotes have been seen roaming the alleyway near where Sherin was standing.

Police say her parents did not report Sherin missing until around 8 a.m., almost five hours after her father alleges Sherin vanished.

The couple’s 4-year-old biological daughter was removed from the home by Child Protective Services. A spokesperson for the agency said CPS has had contact with the family in the past but did not offer further details, according to CBS DFW.

Richardson Police say Sherin suffers from developmental issues and her verbal communication skills are limited.

Sherin was last seen on October 7, 2017, wearing a pink long-sleeve top, black pajama bottoms, and pink flip-flop sandals. She is described as being an Asian female who weighs around 22 pounds and is approximately 3 feet in height. Sherin has black hair and brown eyes.

The Richardson Police Department is urging anyone with any information about Sherin or her whereabouts to call 972-744-4800.

[Featured Image by The Richardson Police Department]