Utah Man Who Allegedly Told Friend It Would Be ‘Awesome’ To Help With Her Suicide Then Filmed It Faces Trial

An 18-year-old man who allegedly helped his 16-year-old female friend commit suicide and also filmed the act is set to face trial. According to the Washington Post, Tyerell Przybycien encouraged his friend, Jchandra Brown, to take her own life after she told him that she was thinking about suicide. Despite another friend telling Tyerell that he should talk Jchandra out of suicide, he reportedly encouraged it.

As related by the Washington Post, on May 5, Tyerell of Spanish Fork, Utah, picked Jchandra up from work to help her commit suicide after having researched and planned how he thought she should do it. The article goes on to say that Przybycien even picked out the spot and the supplies to aid in the suicide.

When the pair arrived at Maple Lake, the 18-year-old allegedly helped Brown fasten the rope that he purchased to a tree before setting up a wooden pedestal so she could climb up to take her own life. It has been reported that Tyerell also tied the noose for his friend after learning that she didn’t know how to do it on her own. As Brown inhaled air duster to help her pass out and placed the noose around her neck, Przybycien allegedly filmed the entire thing. The video of the whole incident lasted for about 10 minutes, with Tyerell behind the camera.

After the preliminary hearing, Judge James Brady ruled that there was enough evidence for Przybycien to stand trial, according to the Daily Herald.

“Because the probable cause standard at preliminary hearings is low, and because all reasonable inferences are viewed in a light most favorable to the State, the Court finds there is reasonable belief that [Przybycien’s] conduct meets the elements of murder.”

Utah County attorney Chad Grander told the court that Przybycien’s actions ultimately caused Brown’s death. He went on to say that without his help, Jchandra wouldn’t have been able to commit suicide alone. On the other hand, Przybycien’s lawyer, Gregory Stewart argued that none of his client’s actions directly caused Brown’s death since she put the noose around her neck and she inhaled the air duster.

Fox 13 reports that Utah does not have an assisted suicide law, which is the reason why charges of murder and abuse or desecration of a human body were filed instead. The ruling to continue to a trial was made by District Court Judge James Brady on Monday, October 14. An arraignment is scheduled for October 24.

[Featured Image by Utah County Sheriff’s Office/AP Images]