Sherin Mathews: Missing Girl’s Uncle ‘Cannot Believe’ She Was Made To Stand Outside At 3 A.M. As Punishment

Three-year-old Sherin Mathews is still missing, despite the massive search underway to find the little Richardson, Texas, girl. Her great-uncle spoke out on Monday saying he finds it hard to believe a toddler was put outside her family home in the middle of the night as punishment for not drinking her milk.

When discussing his great-niece, Sherin, Philip Mathews told local Dallas media outlet WFAA 8 he “cannot believe” that at 3 a.m. “the baby” was outside. He added that Sherin’s parents are “nice people” and “believers in Christ.” Philip called Mathews and his wife caring people who are likely experiencing unimaginable pain at present.

Also Monday, the Richardson Police Department announced that the Amber Alert issued on Saturday following Sherin’s disappearance has expired, and there is no new information or developments in the little girl’s case. Police explained that the Texas Department of Public Safety canceled the Amber Alert because investigators lacked tips in the case, having no specific information about a vehicle or a suspect connected to Sherin’s vanishing.

As previously reported by the Inquisitr, Sherin’s 4-year-old sister was removed from the family’s home by Child Protective Services (CPS) as the investigation continues into Sherin’s disappearance.

Marissa Gonzales, a spokesperson for CPS, told CBS 11 that the agency has “had contact” with the family before, but could not offer more details about the interaction. Gonzales also said that at present, CPS is working in conjunction with law enforcement on the investigation into Sherin’s disappearance.


Sherin’s father, Wesley Mathews, 37, was arrested and charged with abandoning or endangering a child. The arrest warrant affidavit indicates that at about 3 a.m. early Saturday morning, he took Sherin outside and told her to stand close to a large tree that was located near the family’s backyard, according to CBS 19. Mathews alleges that at around 3:15 a.m. he went to check on Sherin and she was gone.

The tree in question is behind a fence and is located across an alley about 100 feet from the family’s residence, according to the Dallas Morning News. The affidavit also states that Mathews informed police that coyotes have been seen on several occasions in the alley near where he told Sherin to stand.

Authorities were not called to the scene by Sherin’s parents until approximately 8 a.m., almost five hours after the little girl vanished.

Mathews wife has been questioned by police and all three of the vehicles owned by the family have been taken from the home by authorities, according to Fox 4.


Police say Sherin’s parents have stopped talking to police and have retained an attorney, the Dallas Morning News reports.

Late Sunday night, Sherin’s father posted $250,000 bond and was released from custody, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The Richardson Police Department has stated that Sherin suffers from developmental issues and her verbal communication skills are limited.

Sherin was last seen on October 7 wearing a pink long-sleeve top, black pajama bottoms, and pink flip-flop sandals. She is described as being an Asian female who weighs around 22 pounds and is approximately three feet in height. Sherin has black hair and brown eyes.

The Richardson Police Department is urging anyone with any information about Sherin or her whereabouts to call 972-744-4800.

[Featured Image by The Richardson Police Department]