Glaser’s Bakery in New York City Shut Down For Rat Droppings

The 110-year-old Glaser’s Bake Shop, renowned for its black-and-white frosted cookie, has been shut down by the Health Department. After a surprise inspection, during a particularly hectic day, they were shuttered for having a vermin infestation on the premises.

The bakery resides in Yorkville, a neighborhood in the greater Upper East Side, in the Borough of Manhattan in New York City. Many of the locals find it a tradition to drop in for the cookies, éclairs, and cakes over the holidays. Unfortunately, owners Tim and Herb Glaser will not be able to re-open until after Christmas. They want to meet with city officers Monday in order to get consent to reopen.

The owners were emotional, expressing their thoughts on the matter, noted in The New York Daily News:

“I’m very embarrassed about it. It hurt,” said Tim Glaser, 62. He stressed the shop has gotten three straight A health ratings previously.

“It’s Manhattan and it’s a 100-year-old building. You’re going to find mouse droppings. You have to be reasonable,” Herb Glaser, 60, argued. “The inspector showed up after a customer complained about workers not wearing hats or sanitary gloves to handle cookies. We’re cleaning and painting and patching to make things more proper. I would just be thrilled to get that (closed) sign off of the door.”

A rodent infestation can’t be taken lightly. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention informs that there are many life threatening viruses that can be transmitted by mice and rats, especially through their feces and urine. Hantaviruses are a group of viruses that may be carried by some rodents. One example of a Hantavirus is rare but deadly disease called Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. Symptoms can include fatigue, body aches, headaches, dizziness, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain and can last 1-5 weeks. People contract HPS through inhalation of dry, aerated urine and droppings, direct contact with nests and bedding areas of the vermin, or from a mouse or rat bite.