Man Overdosed On Brussels Sprouts, Says Medical Journal

An Australian medical journal has reported a case of overdose by Brussels sprouts. The 2011 case is reportedly the first of its kind in recorded history.

Of course, there are a few factors that make the Scottish victim’s reaction to the vegetable unique. According to MSN, the leafy food reportedly had an adverse affect on the medication he took to maintain his artificial heart. Worried that he was in serious trouble, the man decided to seek professional help.

After arriving at Golden Jubilee Hospital, doctors soon determined the culprit in this unusual case was the man’s penchant for consuming large amounts of Brussels sprouts. In addition to putting his artificial ticket a risk, the man earned the distinction of being the first person on record to eat himself sick on the vegetable.

Hospital chief executive Jill Young told BBC News she was just glad they were able to determine the problem before it was too late.

“Whilst we think this is possibly the first-ever festive admission to hospital caused by the consumption of Brussels sprouts, we were delighted that we were able to stabilize his levels,” she said.

Digital Spy explains that the vitamin K found in Brussels sprouts caused the victim’s blood to clot in a particularly bad way, prompting him to seek medical attention last Christmas.

“Patients who are taking anticoagulants are generally advised not to eat too many green leafy vegetables, as they are full of vitamin K, which antagonize the action of this vital medication,” Dr. Roy Gardner explained to BBC News.

According to Livestrong, it is fairly difficult to actually overdose on fruits and vegetables. Outside of skin discoloration, gastrointestinal discomfort, and dental decay, most of these foods are relatively harmless when consumed in high quantities.

In other words, you probably shouldn’t worry too much about overdosing on Brussel sprouts. Just remember to eat responsibly.