Martyn Hett’s Body Identified Among Deceased, Loved Ones Release Heartfelt Statements

Martyn Hett had been missing since the Manchester Arena attack on Monday night, his family and friends trying desperately to stay positive and try to find their loved one. On Wednesday, Hett’s brother, Dan Hett, revealed the tragic news: His brother’s body had been found among the deceased.

“They found my brother last night. We are heartbroken,” Dan Hett tweeted. As you can probably imagine, the news has been completely devastating.

According to People Magazine, some of those closest to Martyn Hett have penned beautiful tributes after hearing the devastating news. Hett’s name had been all over social media following the blast that killed 22 people in Manchester earlier this week. Thousands of people had been sharing his name and photo in hopes that he would be found safe.

“We got the news last night that our wonderful iconic and beautiful Martyn didn’t survive. He left this world exactly how he lived, centre of attention. I’m in a really bad way so please forgive if I don’t reply. Thankfully I have his wonderful family and amazing friends to keep each other strong. I love you, Martyn. I always will. X,” Hett’s partner, Richard Hayward, wrote on Twitter.

Hett’s friend, Christina Partington, posted about the loss as well.

“My heart is broken into a million pieces. I will always be thinking of you. You will always be my baby. You were the light in so many people’s lives. All the colours of the rainbow. Literally the life and soul, iconic. One in a million. A huge piece of my heart missing forever. I will always love you,” read part of the hand-written note that she shared on Twitter.

Those that were closest to Hett are doing the best they can to cope with this devastating loss. In fact, Hett’s brother, Dan, posted on Twitter about an hour ago about his brother’s name being among the trending topics today. Dan said that his brother would “[expletive] love this.”

Hett was among the thousands of concertgoers that attended the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena on Monday night. After the concert was over, around 10:30 p.m. local time, a blast went off in the foyer area of the building. Police later confirmed that a nail bomb had been detonated, killing 22 people and injuring dozens more. Authorities believe that the man responsible was a suicide bomber named Salman Abedi, 22.

“Abedi [was] born in Manchester and grew up in tight-knit Libyan community that was known for its strong opposition to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s regime. He had become [radicalized] recently – it is not entirely clear when – and had [worshiped] at a local mosque that has, in the past, been accused of fundraising for jihadists,” reports the Telegraph.

At least four other people have been arrested by police, though it is unknown if any of the other people were directly involved in the bombing.

Hett, a 29-year-old freelance journalist from Stockport, was set to travel to the United States for a two-month vacation. His flight would have left today.

His very last tweet was sent out on May 22 while he was at the concert. It was posted just a short time before he lost his life. You can read it below.

Martyn Hett will be greatly missed by all of his family and friends, all of whom will continue to keep his memory alive as they begin the healing process.

[Featured Image by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images]