Amid the rising fears of World War 3, North Korea announced on Monday that it would mass produce and deploy new nuclear missiles in response to Trump’s policies. The statement came after Pyongyang successfully test-fired a new medium-to-long range ballistic missile on Sunday.
The missile, Pukguksong-2, was fired from an area near Pukchang, northeast of the capital city of Pyongyang. The missile reached a height of 350 miles and traveled 310 miles before plunging into the Pacific Ocean. The missile did not hit any ships or airplanes as it landed outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone.
The North Korean media confirmed on Monday that Kim Jong-un was present during the launch and watched the proceedings from an observation post. Kim approved the deployment of the weapon system after the successful launch.
The KCNA reported that Kim further added, “Now that its tactical and technical data met the requirements of the Party, this type of missile should be rapidly mass-produced in a serial way to arm the KPA Strategic Force.”
The new missile test was conducted to test the adaptability of the Pukguksong-2 missile under various battle conditions. The North Korean media also reported that Pyongyang would test more such missiles in near future, a move capable of starting WW3.
According to the experts, the technology used in the new missile should be a cause of concerns. The missile was launched using solid fuel technology, which allows an immediate firing and more secrecy. Such missiles can also be launched faster than their liquid fuel counterparts.
This new missile test is being termed by North Korea as “an answer” to Donald Trump’s policies, as reported by ABC News. Pyongyang claims that these tests are in response to the increasing hostile policies toward their nation by the U.S. administration.
North Korea’s Minju Joson newspaper said in a commentary, “The Trump administration would be well advised to lend an ear to the voices of concern that are heard from the U.S. and the international community.”
The statement further warned more such indigenously-made weapons capable of striking the United States would be tested soon. U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson described the new missile launch as “disappointing” and “disturbing.”
Considering the possibility of an outbreak of World War 3, North Korea has increased the missile tests in past few months, with the average being one missile launch every two weeks in 2017, as reported by the Telegraph. It already possesses missiles capable of reaching South Korea and Japan, where a large number of U.S. troops are stationed.
Last week, Pyongyang tested a medium-range missile called Hwasong-12, which was capable of reaching the island of Guam. The launch also tested the re-entry technology required to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile.
It is speculated that Kim Jong-un wants to develop the nation’s ability to strike San Diego, which is the homeport of the Pacific Fleet, Washington, D.C., and Louisiana, which hosts the Air Force Global Strike Command, as reported by the Washington Post.
Trump administration’s policies on North Korea have also been a cause of concern not just in U.S. but across the world. The primary aim of Trump’s policies is to impose sanctions and cripple trade with the help of China, Pyongyang’s largest trade partner. However, there have been several flip-flops in statements made by Trump and his aides.
Donald Trump has contradicted himself at several instances on his administration’s policy towards North Korea. He said in an interview with the Financial Times that if China was unwilling to help, U.S. would solve the problem.
A few weeks later, speaking to Reuters, Trump said that a “major, major conflict with North Korea” was possible. At a later instance, Trump called Kim Jong-un “a smart cookie” and even added that he would be honored to meet him.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has also made similar contradicting statements in the past few weeks. He said that “a different approach” was required and “the end of strategic patience” was over in two separate statements.
Later, he stated that the Trump administration was ready to talk with North Korea and would solve the problem by peaceful discussions. However, at the UN Security Council, Tillerson stunned everyone by saying that U.S. will talk with Pyongyang only if they cease illegal weapons testing.
Meanwhile, Russia and China have requested that the Trump administration stop provoking the hermit nation. The recent increase in missile tests by North Korea suggests that Kim Jong-un is not going to be intimidated by Trump’s aggressive policies, and unless some concrete steps are implemented, World War 3 could soon become a reality.
[Featured Image by KRT/AP Images]