WWE News: ‘NXT TakeOver: San Antonio’ Main Event Set As Shunsuke Nakamura Gets Title Condender

The NXT TakeOver: San Antonio main event has now been confirmed after this week’s episode of NXT determined the number one contender to Shinsuke Nakamura’s NXT Championship.

The King of Strong Style will defend his title against Bobby Roode after “The Glorious One” overcame three other men in a Fatal Four-Way elimination number one contender match, as Wrestling INC reported.

Roode squared off against Andrade “Cien” Almas, Roderick Strong, and Tye Dillinger, with whom Roode has been feuding in the last several weeks.

The NXT TakeOver: San Antonio number one contenders contest took up most of this week’s episode. Roode initially ducked out of the ring to allow the other three men to battle it out, but they quickly ganged up on him and forced him into the match. Almas was the first man to be eliminated when, after nailing Dillinger with his running corner double knee strike, Strong torpedoed off the ropes with a Sick Kick.

Strong was the next man out soon after when Dillinger covered the former Ring of Honor star after hitting him with a Tye Breaker.

Dillinger and Roode then battled back and forth, with Dillinger scoring a pair of close near-falls with a superkick then the Tye Breaker. However, to the disappointment of fans, Dillinger was unable to put Roode away, as the latter hit The Perfect 10 with the Glorious Drop DDT for the win and the number one contender spot.

After the match, Roode said the he “proved to the world why Bobby Roode is the face of NXT.” He said he came to NXT for one reason — to take NXT to the next level — and that his victory in the Fatal Four-Way was another big step in getting the company to that point. The last step on that journey, he said, would come will he wins at NXT TakeOver: San Antonio and finally makes the NXT Championship glorious.

The title match will be the first defense for Shinsuke Nakamura after seeing off Samoa Joe. Nakamura won the title back from Joe in his hometown of Osaka, Japan, then successfully defended it against the Samoan Submission Machine in their mandatory rematch in Melbourne, Australia in a steel cage. Rumors suggest that Joe is suffering from an injury following the NXT overseas tour, as The Inquisitr previously reported.

The NXT Championship contest is the second match confirmed for NXT TakeOver: San Antonio, following NXT General Manager William Regal’s announcement that Authors of Pain, the winners of this year’s Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, will challenge the winners of #DIY and The Revival in their upcoming NXT Tag Team Championship rematch.

Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa — aka #DIY — captured the NXT tag gold from The Revival at NXT TakeOver: Toronto in November in a 2-out-of-3 falls match many critics are touting as a possible match of the year.

Recent NXT episodes have hinted that Nikki Cross of Sanity might be in line to challenge Asuka for the NXT Women’s Championship at NXT TakeOver: San Antonio. Asuka has been claiming for weeks that there is no competition for her in NXT, having remained undefeated for over a year, but Cross is fresh blood in the promotion and could present a viable interim challenge for Asuka before Ember Moon gets her opportunity at the title.

Meanwhile, rumors suggest that the other members of Sanity (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe, and Damo) may take on three men who they have attacked repeatedly over the last few months — Dillinger, WWE Cruiserweight Champion Rich Swann, and No Way Jose — at NXT TakeOver: San Antonio.

You can watch NXT TakeOver: San Antonio live on the WWE Network on January 28.

[Featured Image by WWE]