Oakland Raiders news updates are popping up after the team suffered a 20-13 road loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.
The Raiders showed their weaknesses as quarterback Derek Carr completed 17-of-41 passes on Thursday night. The Raiders offense sputtered, while their quarterback struggled to find a rhythm. Oakland’s special teams also allowed a punt return for a touchdown.
A win against the Chiefs, the Raiders’ AFC West divisional rival, would have put the Raiders in the driver seat for a home playoff game. Now, the Raiders will need more help to get that same opportunity.
Here is the latest on the Raiders’ playoffs hopes and other news stories that are happening off of the field.
The Oakland Raiders seem poised to make the NFL postseason after a 14-year drought. However, it will not be easy.
Thursday’s loss to the Kansas City Chiefs knocked the Raiders from the top in AFC into the fifth seed. Now, both teams sit at 10-3 but Kansas City holds the tiebreaker.
Hence, the Raiders lost their position for the first-round bye and they are looking at a first-round playoff game on the road.
The San Francisco Chronicle’s Ann Killionwrote that the fall in the standings could be the difference between a playoff appearance and long postseason run. However, the difficult path is necessary for a team that is young and unproven like Oakland.
Added, the Raiders would love another shot at the Chiefs in the playoffs. Kansas City swept the Raiders this year.
Either way, Carr said the opportunity to play them again is awesome via SFGate.com.
Safety Nate Allen also said the Chiefs do not have the Raiders’ number. Allen said Oakland needs to make a few more plays the next time the two teams play.
A Raiders-Chiefs playoff contest really depends on what happens over the next three weeks. The Raiders still have two divisional games on their schedule.
Oakland can clinch a playoff berth next weekend when they play the San Diego Chargers.
Raiders Stadium in Oakland
The Raiders might be having their best season in a long time, but the franchise has no long-term commitment for a new stadium in Oakland.
Still, Oakland and Alameda County leaders will vote on a $1.3 billion, 55,000 seat football stadium at the Coliseum site this week, according to NBC Los Angeles.
The plan includes a $200 million investment in infrastructure as well as $150 million in land from the city. An investment group led by former NFL players Ronnie Lott and Rodney Peete will contribute $400 million to the project. It also relies on $500 million from the NFL and the Raiders.
Mayor Libby Schaaf said the agreement is responsible for the team, the league, the fans, and taxpayers. City councilman Larry Reid said it is the best plan that the city and county have ever achieved to keep the Raiders.
However, the Raiders have no comment on the plan. Raiders owner Mark Davis remains committed to a $1.9 billion stadium project in Las Vegas. He will need 24 NFL owners to approve of his relocation to Las Vegas via a vote. The East Bay Times reports that Davis has not even met with city officials regarding this plan.
The plan also includes 15 reserved acres for a new baseball stadium, and more land could get added if the Warriors leave for San Francisco.
Further, it includes development for office or retail space, hotels, residential housing, and parking. It also enhances the use of the BART stadium. The new Oakland plan would cover the $100 million in debt remaining from the Coliseum’s last renovation with revenue from the new project, according to the East Bay Times.
Also away from the field, Raiders edge rusher Aldon Smith reportedly met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell last week.
The 27-year-old Smith made his case for reinstatement via the meeting, according to SFGate.com. This meeting with Goodell is an important step for reinstatement.
Smith has not played a game in nearly 13 months after he was handed a one-year suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy in November of 2015.
This was not Smith’s first disciplinary situation with the NFL. Smith was suspended for nine games in 2014 for violating the league’s personal conduct and substance abuse policies with the 49ers.
Smith had 3.5 sacks last season when he signed with Oakland after the 49ers cut him. Oakland re-signed him to a two-year contract this past summer, despite Smith serving his suspension at the time.
The Raiders take the field Dec. 18 for a divisional game against the San Diego Chargers at 1:25 p.m. PST. More Oakland Raiders news should develop by then.
[Featured Image by Ed Zurga/AP Images]