A new “coming in 2017” trailer released by HBO has shown the very first footage for Season 7 of Game of Thrones. Only a few moments are captured in the trailer, and it hasn’t been officially released online yet, but that hasn’t stopped eager fans taking screenshots, analyzing it, and speculating on a release date.
The “coming in 2017” trailer that includes the Game of Thrones footage was released on HBO during the penultimate episode of their newest series, Westworld. The few short moments of Season 7 show the three remaining Stark children Jon (Kit Harington), Sansa (Sophie Turner), and Arya (Maisie Williams). While nothing specific can be pulled from the three images, it hasn’t stopped fans throwing their theories into the ring.
Screenshots of the three images immediately turned up on Reddit, and fans started speculating about what it all means.
The first image shows Sansa Stark standing in front of a weir tree. The Independent speculates this image could involve a meeting with Petyr Baelish (Aidan Gillen) at the godswood in Winterfell. However, they also point out that Sansa has a “look of shock on her face” that could also indicate a reunion with her younger sister, Arya.
The Game of Thrones Season 7 image of Arya Stark is very generic. She is sitting atop a horse, and there is sky and blurry land as the backdrop. She could be riding into Winterfell or just as likely stopping somewhere on the road now she has left the House of Black and White.
The image of Jon Snow in the Season 7 teaser for Game of Thrones is interesting because it appears Jon is looking at someone. Speculation has run rife on who that person may be, including Melisandre (Carice van Houten), Sansa, or even Daenerys (Emilia Clarke). But, fans will have to wait until Season 7 of Game of Thrones premieres to find out who it really is.
Moviefone has managed to track down an unofficial copy of the Game of Thrones Season 7 footage in the “coming in 2017” trailer. Which you can view below.
Along with the new snippets of Season 7 footage, the author of the books Game of Thrones is based on, George R. R. Martin, released the following information about the due date for the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter.
“My appearance schedule for 2017 is very limited, and will remain so until WINDS is completed. So if you want to meet me or get a book signed, this will be the last chance for a good few months…”
George R. R. Martin has been determined to get this book written and released for some time now, with many speculated release dates coming and going. In fact, originally, The Winds of Winter was supposed to have a release date before Season 6 of Game of Thrones premiered in order to not have the television series spoil the reveals for the books. However, this did not eventuate, and now the television series has headed into unknown territory in Seasons 6 and 7. As a result, fans are holding out little hope The Winds of Winter will beat Season 7 premiere next year.
However, if you can’t wait until 2017 — or beyond — for a release date for The Winds of Winter, and the Season 7 premiere of Game of Thrones, there is some new merchandise you can buy to help fill that Game of Thrones gap. A limited edition Game of Thrones gift box is now available for purchase. Each box is available for $U.S.200 each and will be limited to a run of 3,000. The details of what the Game of Thrones box includes is listed below.
- Limited numbered production run of 3000. Limit 5 per customer.
- Exclusive book: Collectible 20th anniversary illustrated edition of A Game of Thrones bound in eco-trim fiber, featuring gilded edged paper, color illustrations, color endpaper maps, and ribbon marker
- Exclusive HBO Game of Thrones t-shirt, featuring map of Westeros and sigils
- Exclusive reproduction of Robert Baratheon’s Will from the HBO series
- Living Language Dothraki online course
- Iron Coin of the Faceless Man from Shire Post Mint
- Dead Man Set of coins from Westeros (previously unreleased) from Shire Post Mint
- A Game of Thrones: The Card Game with exclusive Daenerys as Khaleesi card from Fantasy Flight
- Holiday sigil shield lights from Kurt Adler
- Exclusive Lord Commander Jon Snow and Queen Daenerys miniatures from Dark Sword Miniatures
- Exclusive Maester’s journal from Insight Editions
- Exclusive silk map of King’s Landing (2 feet x 3 feet)
- Exclusive keepsake printed box with GRRM insignia, individually numbered
You can purchase you gift box from this website.
What do you think will happen in Season 7 of Game of Thrones? Let us know by commenting below.
Game of Thrones will return to HBO for a shortened Season 7 in 2017.
[Featured Image by Helen Sloan/HBO]