Nick Gordon has broken his silence after being ordered to pay more than $36 million dollars in Bobbi Kristina Brown’s wrongful death civil lawsuit, according to the Associated Press. Nick reacted to the verdict by posting a sad face emoji on Twitter. The 21-year-old then tweeted, “#outofcontrol” earlier this week. Gordon has kept a poolside photo of himself with Bobbi Kristina as his Twitter avatar since her death in 2015.
????— Nick Gordon (@Nickdgordon) November 18, 2016
The tweet came the day before Atlanta judge ordered him to pay millions to the estate of his late girlfriend, according to Us Weekly. Gordon has not been criminally charged in Brown’s death. Bobby Brown’s estate said in a statement that Fulton County Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford awarded $36,250,000 in damages on Thursday, November 17, according to the Associated Press. Gordon was not present in court.
According to People, a source close to Nick Gordon said he doesn’t have the $36 million so filing for bankruptcy might be his next step. Carl Linder, a shareholder of Greenspoon Marder’s criminal law practice group in Florida told People that if Gordon “has no assets, then a bankruptcy most likely would wipe [his debt] out.”
“Now, if the court believes that Mr. Gordon has the ability in the future to earn money and to satisfy some of this judgment, then they may not discharge him from the bankruptcy.”
Bobbi Kristina, the daughter of the late Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, was found unresponsive in a bathtub at her Atlanta home in January 2015. The circumstances were eerily similar to her mother’s shocking 2012 death. Bobbi Kristina died at the age of 22. Kristina was reluctantly taken off life support following a six-month medically induced coma, according to People.
After Nick failed to show up in court, Gordon was found “legally responsible” for Bobbi Kristina’s death in September. Therefore, the conservator of Brown’s estate won by default. The Fulton County Court discussed the findings with Us Weekly in a statement.
“Fulton County Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford ruled today that Nick Gordon is legally responsible for Bobbi Kristina Brown’s death after the defendant failed to appear in court… A jury will determine the amount of damages to be awarded to Brown’s conservator.”
RELATED ARTICLES FROM THE INQUISITR:
Nick Gordon ‘Legally Responsible’ For Bobbi Kristina Death, Ordered To Pay $36 Million
Whitney Houston, Bobbi Kristina Brown Body May Be Dug Up To Prove Murder
Nick Gordon ‘Not Doing Too Well’ After Losing Bobbi Kristina Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Bobbi Kristina Brown: Boyfriend Found ‘Legally Responsible’ For Death Of Whitney Houston’s Daughter [Video]
Bobbi Kristina Brown: Nick Gordon Loses Wrongful Death Lawsuit, A Look At The Evidence
Bobby Brown Calls For Criminal Charges Against Nick Gordon
Bobbi Kristina’s conservator, Bedelia Hargrove, alleged in the lawsuit that Bobbi Kristina died as a result of an altercation and being placed in the bathtub while under the influence of a lethal mixture of drugs, according to court documents obtained in October 2015 by Radar Online.
Gordon has denied these claims and any involvement in her death.
“Ms. Brown died due to a violent altercation with [Gordon] after which he placed her in a bathtub, unconscious, after he injected her with a toxic mixture.”
Bobby’s attorney, Christopher Brown, issued a separate statement.
“We have said all along that Nick Gordon was responsible for the death of Bobbi Kristina Brown and the harm of losing a child is immeasurable.”
The former New Edition singer Bobby Brown issued a statement on social media after the judge’s final ruling.
“I am pleased with the outcome of today’s court proceedings… I do know that Mr. Gordon will be unable to slander my daughter’s name in the future or obtain any benefits from the use of Krissy’s name.
“Finally, I do need for the District Attorney’s Office to step up and begin the criminal prosecution of Mr. Gordon. The delay in that matter is of great concern to me and my family. We need for District Attorney Howard to act now.”
One of Nick’s relatives told People that it may be hard extracting $36 million dollars from Nick because he is pretty much broke.
“Nick isn’t in a good place right now. He doesn’t have any money. This is symbolic more than anything, because they’re not going to get anything from him. You can’t get blood from a stone.”
The source revealed Nick’s next step might be filing for bankruptcy.
“That will probably be his next step, but I don’t think he’s thinking straight right now. He is still in mourning for Krissi. This isn’t going to bring her back, no matter what they think. They need to look into themselves to see what part everybody played in this, not just Nick. Everybody needs a lot of prayer.”
Randall M. Kessler, Gordon’s former lawyer, tells People that the court’s $36 million settlement verdict is not at all fair.
“It apparently was the result of the court hearing only one side and basing its decision on that since only one side apparently appeared… Had Mr. Gordon been present to give his side, who knows what the award, if any, would have been.”
[Featured Image by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images]