Angelina Jolie is “relieved” that Brad Pitt was cleared of child abuse allegations. The 41-year-old actress says she’s now moving on for the sake of the children.
A rep for the Maleficent actress issued a statement to the press, which said that it is incumbent upon her to leave the investigation to the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS). The agency’s task is to make sure that minors are insulated from harm in any situation.
“As we said earlier this week, childcare professionals encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides that was in the best interest of the children,” the statement added. “Angelina said from the beginning that she felt she had to take action for the health of the family and is relieved that after their 8-week involvement, the DCFS is now satisfied the safeguards are put in place that will allow the children to heal.”
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) November 9, 2016
An alleged source from Entertainment Tonight claimed that Pitt was expected to be cleared of the child abuse allegations. At this point, it’s not clear if Jolie had any hand in reporting the incident. Initial reports pointed to one of the airport employees who called the police.
Early reports claimed that Pitt, who was allegedly dealing with anger and substance abuse issues, got physical with his teenage son, Maddox, during a plane ride.
But another source added that the actor is not totally in the clear yet even if the DCFS did not pursue charges. According to the alleged insider, it may be possible that Pitt and Jolie simply agreed to comply with the requirements set by the agency.
“There is a reason that Brad and Angelina are still sticking to the safety plan originally put in place by DCFS. His visits are still monitored by a therapist,” the report added.
Now that the child abuse claims are behind them, the estranged couple still has to contend with the custody battle for their six children.
TMZ claimed that Jolie and Pitt are still thick in the custody battle even if both have stated that it was already settled out of court. According to earlier reports, the actress was given custody of the children while the Fury actor was awarded visitation rights.
A statement from Jolie’s rep confirmed that the physical custody of the kids was awarded to the actress through a legal agreement.
“In accordance with this agreement, the six children will stay in their mother’s custody, and the children will continue therapeutic visits with their father,” it read. “This has been determined by childcare professionals to be in the children’s best interest.”
— Perez Hilton (@PerezHilton) November 8, 2016
But the gossip news site reported that there was no truth to the claims, as the actor filed documents seeking joint physical and legal custody of their six kids. TMZ added that what the former couple had was an agreement, not a settlement, which will be handled by a family court judge.
Brad Pitt files for joint physical custody of kids in Angelina Jolie divorce response: Report https://t.co/Wiq0U7Ru90
— TIME (@TIME) November 5, 2016
Meanwhile, Pitt made his first public appearance since his troubles with Jolie surfaced, USA Today said.
He co-hosted a screening of Midnight, starring Julia Roberts, in Los Angeles recently. The film, produced by Pitt’s Plan B Productions, is getting some Oscar buzz. A nomination or an award would be another feather in the cap for the actor after the Best Picture win of 12 Years a Slave.
Pitt and Jolie have six children together: Maddox, Sahara, Pax, Knox, Shiloh, and Vivienne. The actress filed for divorce two months ago. In September, the actor filed his response to the divorce petition by asking for joint custody of their kids.
[Featured Image by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images]