An Ohio Woman Says She Found Marijuana In Her Wendy’s Fries

An Ohio woman is claiming that she found marijuana — including a partially-smoked marijuana cigarette, or “blunt” — in her daughter’s french fries, WHIO (Dayton) is reporting.

Dezeray Risner, of Springfield, Ohio, says that she was on her way to a daughter’s cheerleading class when she stopped by a Wendy’s in Huber Heights for food. A few miles down the road, she said, the young girl said her food was “yucky.”

“So I told her to spit it in my hand, (and) I just kind of reached my arm back. She did and when I looked at it, you could see it. It was chewed up with the french fries. There was the weed in there, the wrap that it goes in or whatever. I freaked out.”

Not only was there marijuana in her fries, she says, but there was also a tobacco wrapper — an indication that the marijuana had been rolled into a cigarette with an outer wrapper of tobacco, commonly called a “blunt.”

“My FOUR YEAR OLD CHILD WAS CHEWING ON SOMEONES BLUNT!”

Risner called the cops. A Huber Heights police officer inspected the Wendy’s fries and confirmed that he saw “green leafy vegetation” mixed in with the food, and that he smelled a strong odor of marijuana.

Risner went back to Wendy’s to get some answers. She says that she spoke to the shift manager and three employees, two of whom admitted that they smoked marijuana but denied putting it in her fries. The police officer got consent to search the two pot-smoking employees and didn’t find any marijuana on them.

In fact, Risner may never get any answers about how the pot wound up in her fries. There are no security cameras in the food-prep area at Wendy’s, and there are no suspects.

“I shouldn’t have to check my child’s food for drugs. That wasn’t professional at all. … My biggest issue right now is to acknowledge it. Apologize. And if it has to go farther, than it will go farther, but that’s not my concern right now.”

In a statement to WHIO, a Wendy’s spokesperson promised a thorough investigation and vowed to cooperate with local authorities in getting to the bottom of how marijuana wound up in a customer’s french fries.

“Please know all of our customers as well as the quality and integrity of our food are a top priority at Wendy’s and we are taking this very seriously.”

It’s not clear, as of this writing, whether or not Dezeray Risner suffered any ill effects from accidentally ingesting marijuana.

The effects of marijuana on children are not very well-understood, due to cannabis’ classification as a Category I controlled substance, which prevents scientific research on the substance. In Colorado, where pot is legal, emergency rooms have seen their share of kids brought in who accidentally ingested some of their parents’ pot, according to the Denver Post. Usually, the symptoms of pot ingestion in kids are minor and will go away on their own after a period. However, in extreme cases, kids have needed respiratory support after accidentally ingesting marijuana-infused candies, known as “edibles.”

This is not the first time that a fast-food customer has gotten some marijuana mixed in with their food, intentionally or otherwise. As The Consumerist reported in 2014, an Iowa man says he ordered a hamburger at a McDonald’s drive-through, and then discovered that there was marijuana on top of it. Similar cases of marijuana appearing in a fast-food order have emerged out of South Carolina and Illinois, according to the Consumerist.

[Featured Image by Ken Wolter/Shutterstock]