Man Mauled By Bear Twice In One Day, Posted Injuries On Facebook Before Getting Medical Help [Video]

Warning! Some readers might find the content below disturbing.

Montana man Todd Orr was mauled by a grizzly bear Saturday and went on to share his gruesome injuries on Facebook before he sought medical treatment, CBS News is reporting.

The 50-year-old man had set out on a familiar morning hike when he saw a mother grizzly bear charge towards him from over 80 feet away. Orr said he had shouted at the bear to stand down, but it did not work. The bear also failed to stop when he emptied bear spray in the massive animal’s face. The fast-thinking Orr knew the only way out was to protect himself quickly.

“I went to my face in the dirt and wrapped my arms around the back of my neck for protection. She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack. The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again… after what seemed like an eternity, she disappeared.”

Orr said he was badly bitten but managed to get on his feet and started jogging three miles back to where he had parked his truck. He said that ten minutes after the first attack, the mother bear attacked him again. The Montana man said he dove to the ground, covered his neck, and tried to play possum.

The second attack was far worse than the first.

“One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back.”

Todd Orr revealed that he was carrying a holstered pistol but had lost it during the attack. Orr said he could not find the weapon because blood had seeped into his eyes. He knew his only chance of making it alive was to play dead and hope the bear would not sink its teeth into an artery.

“I knew I couldn’t move or make a sound again so I huddled motionless. Another couple of bites to my head and a gash opened above my ear, nearly scalping me.”

Orr’s attempt at playing dead eventually paid off. The bear stopped biting him, but it put its full weight on top of him, crushing his head and abdomen into the ground before leaving.

Orr said he lay on the ground for a long time before making it back to his truck. The knifemaker took a glance at his injuries and estimated that he had 45 minutes before he bled out. He knew he could not survive another attack and wanted to put plenty of distance between him and the bear.

Despite his injuries and a useless left arm, he managed to drive 17 miles to hospital. On the way to the Madison Valley Medical Center, he called his girlfriend and told her to bring him a change of clothes at the medical center. Orr also called the emergency services ahead to tell them of the bear attack.


At the hospital, x-rays showed that a bear bite had chipped off a bone fragment from Orr’s arm and that he would require over eight hours for his wounds to be stitched.

Montana state guidelines assert that if a grizzly bear charges towards you, you should stand your ground and use pepper spray. If that does not work, you should lie face down or curl into a ball and not move or make a sound until the bear has gone.

The mauling of Todd Orr is reminiscent of the violent bear attack scene in Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar-winning The Revenant.

Todd Orr recaptured his harrowing ordeal in a Facebook post.

[Featured Image by Seread/iStock]