WWII Veteran Beaten And Set On Fire, Teen Responsible Says He Is ‘Remorseful’ At Sentencing

A 91-year-old World War II veteran was brutally beaten by his teenage next door neighbor before being set afire to hide the evidence. As the teen’s trial concluded, the teenage stated that he was remorseful.

Now 18, George Steward claims he wishes he could relive the November Friday in 2015 when he brutally beat Paul Monchik and set him on fire, claiming he would have thought twice about the incident and simply walked away to let the World War II vet live out his final days in peace. However, Steward realizes that cannot happen and simply wants the Monchik family to know that he is sorry and hopes no other family has to go through what they did.

“Each and every day I wish I could take it back. No one should be able to leave this world like that. I’m sorry for the loss I caused their family, for the heartache I put in their hearts. Hopefully one day they can find it in their hearts to forgive me.”

Paul Monchik’s son, Scott Monchik, claims his father was a good man, according to Metro. Although Steward has conveyed his apologies, Monchik has no sympathy for the teen and claims the hole in the family’s hearts cannot be simply filled with the word “sorry.”

“His life was brutally taken from us by a monster. The terrible sickening feeling I get thinking that my dad’s last hour on Earth was filled with horror and pain, worse than anything he went through in the war.

“This man (Steward) has created a hole in all of us that is filled with anger and hatred, fear and loss. You have taken something that was not yours to take.”

Steward was sentenced to between 30 and 60 years in prison by Judge Michael Callahan on charges of second-degree murder.

Multiple witnesses testified against Steward, including a gas station attendant that sold him fifty cents worth of gasoline and a lighter earlier in the morning of the murder. Steward’s cell phone was found in Monchik’s back yard on the night of the beating.

According to the authorities, claims the Detroit News, Monchik was beaten by Steward and then doused with gasoline before being set ablaze. It is not believed that Monchik survived the beating.

Monchik’s son, Scott, arrived at his father’s house as it was engulfed in flames, realizing that his father did not survive.

According to Steward’s sister, he is not a “monster” and was an honest and kind teen that never found himself in trouble. Steward’s family hopes to repeal the sentence soon, claiming that he does not deserve such a harsh sentence.


A family friend of Steward claims both sides are suffering from the incident.

“It’s an unfortunate situation on both sides. I think it’s more to the story than what’s been told.”

After serving in World War II, Monchik made a living at repairing televisions. He lived in Detroit for over 50 years and had a goal of living to see the age of 100. His life was ended nine years short of the milestone.

Due to Steward’s age at the time of the crime, it is unlikely he will serve his entire sentence. If an appeal is approved, there is a chance he may see his sentence cut much shorter.

At this time, there is still no obvious reason for the motive behind the brutal beating. Steward has only shown remorse without revealing his motive.

[Featured Image by Action Sports Photography/Shutterstock]