South Korea has revealed that it has a plan in place to assassinate North Korea's Kim Jong-un.
According to CNN, South Korea confirmed that it has elite troops on standby ready to assassinate Kim Jong-un should the country feel threatened by North Korea's nuclear weapons.
During a parliamentary session on Wednesday in Seoul, the country's defense minister, Han Min-Koo, affirmed that the country is prepared to take out the North Korean leader should circumstances warrant such a drastic step.
When asked if a task force was assembled to remove Kim Jong-un by force if need be, the defense minister candidly confirmed that a plan is in place.
"Yes, we do have such a plan. South Korea has a general idea and a plan to use precision missile capabilities to target the enemy's facilities in major areas as well as eliminating the enemy's leadership."
While many have surmised that such a plan does exist, the revelation came a surprise.
— CNN (@CNN) September 23, 2016
Daniel Pinkston of Troy University told CNN that many governments have drastic contingency plans in place, noting that it would be foolish for a powerful country to not have plans on the ready.
"A president would want to have the option... Not presenting that to the president, not training for it and having that capability would be a mistake."
As previously reported by the Inquisitr, tensions with North Korea mounted after North Korea conducted its largest nuclear test to date on September 9 and announced that they now have the ability to mount a warhead on a ballistic missile.
— The Economist (@TheEconomist) September 18, 2016
That move led to calls for increased U.N. sanctions against the reclusive regime, which was laughed off by North Korea.
North Korean officials responded by saying the North will continue to strengthen its nuclear power despite any sanctions.
According to Reuters, a U.S. special envoy met with Japanese officials on Sept. 11 to discuss possible sanctions. They later concurred Obama's statement by announcing that the United States may launch unilateral sanctions against North Korea.
South Korea believes unusual seismic activity in North Korea was nuclear test https://t.co/iAnSCOTnr4 pic.twitter.com/86ZcQvgI6z
— CBS News (@CBSNews) September 9, 2016
According to state-run news agency KCNA, a North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement that Obama's threats meant nothing.
"The group of Obama's running around and talking about meaningless sanctions until today is highly laughable when their 'strategic patience' policy is completely worn out and they are close to packing up to move out."
— Business Insider (@businessinsider) September 18, 2016
The agency went on to report that nothing will stop the regime from increasing its nuclear capabilities.
"As we've made clear, measures to strengthen the national nuclear power in quality and quantity will continue to protect our dignity and right to live from augmented threats of nuclear war from the United States."
In a separate KCNA report, Jong Won Sop, a teacher at the University of National Economy, was cited as saying North Koreans were "delighted" by the nuclear test.
"The enemies can no longer deny the strategic position of our country as a nuclear weapons state."
According to CNN, earlier this month, South Korea's Chief Director of Strategic Planning at the Joint Chiefs of Staff Leem Ho-Young said the country has a new retaliatory system in place should the North continue to provoke the world and ignore demands to refrain from continuing its nuclear testing.
The Korea Massive Punishment & Retaliation (KMPR) would involve "surgical missile attacks, exclusive special warfare units and an ability to strike North Korea's leadership if South Korea feels threatened by nuclear attack."
Meanwhile, South Korea's defense minister said the plan to assassinate Kim Jong-un would only be carried out in a worst-case scenario.
[Featured Image by Wong Maye-E/File/AP Images]