Charlotte Protests Live: Midnight To 6 AM Curfew In Place, Keith Lamont Scott Video Not ‘Definitive’ [Updated]

Update 12:40 a.m. ET September 23: CNN is reporting that authorities in Charlotte have indicated that as long as protests “remain peaceful,” the midnight to 6 a.m. curfew will not be enforced.

Update 11 p.m. ET: A curfew has been ordered by Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts in response continuing impassioned protests Thursday evening. The Charlotte curfew is reported to go into effect at midnight and remain until 6 a.m., as reported by CBS New York.

Original Article: As the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, braces for its third night of protests following the shooting death of 43-year-old father-of-seven, Keith Lamar Scott, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney has stated that video of the shooting will remain private.

Putney was quoted by Reuters that he would not be releasing footage “right now” with regard to the Keith Lamont Scott video, acknowledging that at least one recorded vantage point of the shooting of Scott, who family members claim was reading a book, while waiting for his son, exists.

Keith Lamont Scott shooting video footage versus Terence Crutcher shooting video footage, why is one available and not the other?

The unavailable Keith Lamont Scott shooting video footage is said to come from the dash cam of a Charlotte-Mecklengburg police cruiser, as reported by the New York Daily News.

The Charlotte chief of police stated that releasing the video of the Scott shooting could jeopardize the department’s investigation and that it would not be made available to the public until he feels that there is a “compelling reason” to do so. Tulsa’s police chief Chuck Jordan has followed another path and made the seemingly comparable, relevant Terence Crutcher video footage available.

Marq Lewis, a Tulsa activist with We The People, was quoted by Tulsa World with regard to his belief that Chief Jordan is “definitely trying” to be transparent. NPR is reporting that Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby will face manslaughter charges and be taken into custody for the shooting death of Terence Crutcher that was featured in footage that has now been viewed widely and sparked protests in the Oklahoma city and others nationwide.

“We feel that he’s sincere in what he’s doing,” Lewis was quoted with regard to Jordan. “I definitely say that Tulsa is one of those cities that we can look at to say that our police force is a model that we can model after.”

Charlotte police chief Putney was quoted by AP that he has seen the Keith Lamont Scott shooting video footage, and that it is not “definitive.”

“You shouldn’t expect it to be released,” the Charlotte chief stated. “I’m not going to jeopardize the investigation.”

Keith Lamont Scott video to be viewed by family, not made available to the public unless Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police Chief Kerr Putney feels that there is a compelling reason to do son.

One reported eyewitness to the Scott shooting was Tahesia Williams, as previously reported by The Inquisitr. Ms. Williams has gone on record with a belief that the officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott was white, and, like his family, that Scott was only holding a book and not a gun.

“When taken in the totality of all the other evidence, it supports what we said,” Kerr Putney stated with regard to the Keith Lamont Scott video.

Scott’s family was reported to have been given the opportunity to view the video today. Their reaction remains elusive and may not be shared publicly, if at all. Their lawyer, Justin Bamberg, reportedly stated that the family would release an opinion of whether the video of the reported disabled man’s death should be made available to the public.

Loading...

Forty-four people were reported to have been arrested in protests in Charlotte last night, with one person being shot. Charlotte police have reportedly denied responsibility for the shooting.

Third night of protests in Charlotte, North Carolina as Keith Lamont Scott video not yet available to public; family said to view footage earlier today.

Employees with three of Charlotte’s biggest employers were reportedly told not to attend work on Thursday, out of fears of disruptions by protests. The firms included Bank of America Corporation (NYSE: BAC), Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC), and Duke Energy Corporation (NYSE: DUK).

National Guard members, state troopers, and Department of Justice “conflict-resolution” experts were said to have been moved into the city in an attempt to “keep the peace.”

Live stream footage of protests from Charlotte Thursday evening show largely peaceful, though passionate, speakers surrounded by solemnly cheering supporters. Later, protestors marched, chanting “release the tapes.”

[Feature Image by Sean Rayford/Getty Images]